Switching A-Levels after turning 19???

Watch
JuliannaChodor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,
So I went to sixth form for two years after doing my GCSEs and hated it, hardly ever went and ended up dropping a subject. I finished sixth form with 10% attendance and two E’s is Sociology and English Lit. I am now at college redoing my A-Levels for the second time round. I am currently nearing the end of my first year and I’m doing Biology, Psychology and Sociology. I’ve decided I would like to switch Biology to English Literature. There’s a high chance that the teacher will be fine with me skipping the first year of the course and only doing the second year to get a complete A-Level as the college I’m at studies the same topics as the sixth form I was at, so I’ve already completed first year content. The only issue I’m having is, my tutor said I may need to pay about £800 to enrol in a new A-Level as I have now turned 19. Does anyone have any advice on this?! Just to clear up, I was enrolled at the college at the age of 18 and have now turned 19 and I would like to swap one of my 3 a-levels. I come from a single-parent low-income household and I’m a full time student, does this help my case at all? Is there anything I can do to avoid the £800 fee without simply not changing my a-level choices?? Any help would be appreciated, I feel like I’m going grey with the stress of this.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think your tutor is right. I've not had to deal with the precise funding rules for a while but you've already had funding to study English Lit and you're over 19, either of which (from memory) mean they wouldn't get funding for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (114)
14.29%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.65%
Changed course offer (35)
4.39%
Clearing (58)
7.27%
Conditional offer (11)
1.38%
Deferral (33)
4.14%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.53%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.13%
Point of Entry (56)
7.02%
Self-release (116)
14.54%
Tariff Point (64)
8.02%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.38%
Withdrawal (23)
2.88%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (69)
8.65%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.75%

Watched Threads