Chickydee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello all, the time has come for my son to go and do the PGSC, ( finally! After a year since he had his appeal upheld and has been cleared medically)
I have questions that I don’t want to ask him as he either grunts or doesn’t know ( probably does but I’m a nag!).
What happens if he passes? What’s next?
What happens if he fails, can he try again?
He is super excited and has worked hard on the fitness but there’s been no opportunity to do the swim test due to covid, but I’m thinking everyone will be the same?
Unknownresponse
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chickydee)
Hello all, the time has come for my son to go and do the PGSC, ( finally! After a year since he had his appeal upheld and has been cleared medically)
I have questions that I don’t want to ask him as he either grunts or doesn’t know ( probably does but I’m a nag!).
What happens if he passes? What’s next?
What happens if he fails, can he try again?
He is super excited and has worked hard on the fitness but there’s been no opportunity to do the swim test due to covid, but I’m thinking everyone will be the same?
Unfortunately the question you pose does not really have a definitive answer.

If he passes it’s wait out to hear for a date to start training at Halton. There might still be a pre joining course, although I thought that might have been cancelled due to COVID. Following successful graduation at Halton it’s off to Honnington for phase 2.

If he were to fail; the course of action would be determined by the reason.

If he failed for fitness and were say a couple of press ups off the mark they could send him away and let him come back in 3 months or so.

If he failed by a larger margin they could say 6 or 12 months etc. It really depends on what he were to fail at and by how much.

If he were to fail for attitude they could ask he never comes back.

You also have to consider that there are only X amount of places each year and you are competing against other candidates. He wants to be aiming for the top 20% to ensure that he will be successful.

The thing to remember with the swim test is that, it is not a race. As long as you complete the distance and tread water for the 2 or 3 minutes required you pass. If he is not a great swimmer than practice. I understand you say he can’t practice due to COVID. So just ensure he takes his time and passes. The swim test is a pass/ fail test there is no gold star for coming first if it takes you 10 minutes you still pass.

I believe you get the opportunity to come back and try again on 3 occasions after that your application will be cancelled. Again this depends on why you failed.
Chickydee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Unknownresponse)
Unfortunately the question you pose does not really have a definitive answer.

If he passes it’s wait out to hear for a date to start training at Halton. There might still be a pre joining course, although I thought that might have been cancelled due to COVID. Following successful graduation at Halton it’s off to Honnington for phase 2.

If he were to fail; the course of action would be determined by the reason.

If he failed for fitness and were say a couple of press ups off the mark they could send him away and let him come back in 3 months or so.

If he failed by a larger margin they could say 6 or 12 months etc. It really depends on what he were to fail at and by how much.

If he were to fail for attitude they could ask he never comes back.

You also have to consider that there are only X amount of places each year and you are competing against other candidates. He wants to be aiming for the top 20% to ensure that he will be successful.

The thing to remember with the swim test is that, it is not a race. As long as you complete the distance and tread water for the 2 or 3 minutes required you pass. If he is not a great swimmer than practice. I understand you say he can’t practice due to COVID. So just ensure he takes his time and passes. The swim test is a pass/ fail test there is no gold star for coming first if it takes you 10 minutes you still pass.

I believe you get the opportunity to come back and try again on 3 occasions after that your application will be cancelled. Again this depends on why you failed.
Thank you, you’ve answered my questions and helped immensely! He’s ready and raring to go, fingers crossed!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (19)
8.96%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (129)
60.85%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.15%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
13.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise