The Student Room Group

Uni Application

I've accepted my offer for M.Sc Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and Management at L'Boro University for the October 2021 Intake. Can someone shed some light on the ongoing COVID-19 situation over at the UK and whether the classes will be offline and things will be normal around the time my course commence? Do you think I should defer the offer to a further year, or pursue the choice I have made?
Original post by SumeshPradeep
I've accepted my offer for M.Sc Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and Management at L'Boro University for the October 2021 Intake. Can someone shed some light on the ongoing COVID-19 situation over at the UK and whether the classes will be offline and things will be normal around the time my course commence? Do you think I should defer the offer to a further year, or pursue the choice I have made?

Hi @SumeshPradeep

Currently teaching for university courses is online with some exceptions depending on the course being studied.
The current government guidance surrounding university teaching in person is that it can resume from 17th May, however, it will at the universities discretion as to whether they switch to in-person teaching and the extent to which they do this.
I would advise directly contacting Loughborough university as they will be able to advise you as to what their plans are concerning teaching next academic year. They should be able to offer some guidance as to their current teaching situation and their plans going forward

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
It should be ok, the adult population, including university students, will be close to fully vaccinated by the time you start. There might be some disruption at the beginning and there's been suggestions of control measures during the autumn but those measures are going to be to help things like in-person learning continue. During that semester you'll start to see boosters for the variants being rolled out, and bar a new variant becoming endemic in the UK which doesn't respond well to either the original vaccine or the booster, it's unlikely that covid will present any particular issue to the UK after that, although there will likely be some cultural impact.

Deferral is a complicated topic. Last year universities weren't particularly accepting of deferral requests unless there was a very good, non-covid related reason, and they also tended to offer additional help for students to get to the UK which in some ways was a bonus compared to normal years, although I don't think that support will be as strong this year. I know a few international students who did their MSc this year and they've still had a pretty good time because the UK does have a decent amount of outdoor activities that you can do with your flatmates even during lockdowns, so it's not the end of the world.
Original post by SumeshPradeep

Hi @SumeshPradeep

It's great that you're planning to study with us in October!

I believe this has already been mentioned on another thread, but I've sent you a PM (sent 20 April) with some more information about this :smile:

All the best,
-Dan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending