I killed a rat and I feel horrible

Watch
mandyelicup
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My cat found a rat in our garden. At first I let her chase it because I'm not the biggest fan of rats especially in our garden, and I didn't think she would get it.
Then I felt really bad and went to get her away from it. She picked it up in her mouth and I made her drop it and tried to pick it up to put it somewhere where she couldn't find it.
It bit my finger and hung on, I panicked and flicked it off. It landed on a plank of wood and I think it broke its leg and hurt its head which was bleeding. I tried to help it but it bit again (this time I panicked a little less), and I for some reason dropped it gently over the fence so my cat was less likely to get it.
I feel so awful, it looked like it was dying but I couldn't face putting it out of its misery, I know I didn't handle it well so don't criticise me for that please.
Any advice on how to feel less terrible
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't worry mate. It's life has no value.

If I was there I would have shot it for fun.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So now its going to suffer in pain until it dies rather than your cat quickly killing it. You should've let nature do what it does.
Moonlight rain
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s just a rat tbh
E I O N
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe killing it wasn't the right thing to do. Instead, you should have lured it outside. Although I kill spiders and flies, so I am in no position to judge.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's done. You can't do anything about it, so stop thinking about it. It is what it is.
Don't worry.
the wise fox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
its just a rat relax ur self they are nasty things anyway
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My cat once caught one and I dispatched it the way my grandpa used to.

Toss it into a plastic bag, wrap the bag around a few times, and then get a chair. Jump from the top of the chair while wearing some heavy boots, and hope that your aim is true and you give it a quick death.

He did it quite a few times and I've done it a few times now, too... honestly the only way I know to kill 'em once your cat catches them.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mandyelicup)
My cat found a rat in our garden. At first I let her chase it because I'm not the biggest fan of rats especially in our garden, and I didn't think she would get it.
Then I felt really bad and went to get her away from it. She picked it up in her mouth and I made her drop it and tried to pick it up to put it somewhere where she couldn't find it.
It bit my finger and hung on, I panicked and flicked it off. It landed on a plank of wood and I think it broke its leg and hurt its head which was bleeding. I tried to help it but it bit again (this time I panicked a little less), and I for some reason dropped it gently over the fence so my cat was less likely to get it.
I feel so awful, it looked like it was dying but I couldn't face putting it out of its misery, I know I didn't handle it well so don't criticise me for that please.
Any advice on how to feel less terrible
This isn’t really related but you may want to check your finger out. Especially as rats carry some germs/ diseases so just check your finger 🙂
mandyelicup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
This isn’t really related but you may want to check your finger out. Especially as rats carry some germs/ diseases so just check your finger 🙂
Ok thanks
mandyelicup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
It's done. You can't do anything about it, so stop thinking about it. It is what it is.
Don't worry.
Thanks, just feel really bad
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mandyelicup)
Thanks, just feel really bad
No worries. It happens.
Serene Dreams
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Callicious)

Toss it into a plastic bag, wrap the bag around a few times, and then get a chair. Jump from the top of the chair while wearing some heavy boots, and hope that your aim is true and you give it a quick death.

He did it quite a few times and I've done it a few times now, too... honestly the only way I know to kill 'em once your cat catches them.
Erm...I....what....🤢
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Worry about your finger, not the bloody rat.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/animal-and-human-bites/
YaliaV123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This smells like rat crap.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My dad killed a rat once that got into our lounge and hid behind the cupboard. He sat in the lounge in his armchair with a knife in his hand with the dimmer switch light low for like 45 minutes waiting for it to poke its head out.

Literally the second it did, my dad fling the knife at the rat with such precision and killed it instantly pinning it to the skirting.

I have never seen anything like it in my entire life. It was surreal like out of a film or something.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

:o:o
Serene Dreams
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
:o:o
Wish I could unsee it. 😭
Last edited by Serene Dreams; 2 weeks ago
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Serene Dreams)
Wish I could unsee it. 😭
Same lmao
Foxehh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

You cant just let the cat finish their fun..?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (85)
36.02%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (38)
16.1%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (10)
4.24%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (24)
10.17%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (29)
12.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
11.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
9.32%

Watched Threads