how do i do well in exam questions?

Watch
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
usually, i understand all of the knowledge that i need for the exam; however, the questions that aren't straight forward are harder for me.
e.g a question with a bit of a backstory and not just asking the question.

How do i do well in those questions? i'm doing gcse
thank you!
user6842344
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
when doing revision do past papers from the websites and do all of them so you get use to the questions being asked on the exam papers for your gcses. past papers are important because if you don't practice you will not know how to work the questions out and get them correct.

if you have an exam then if you revise for them do past papers thats key just go on your exam board and see the papers papers and work through them and if you go some wrong then highlight it red and if you got the questions right highlight them green. then you know your weaknesses so you could do it again if u wanted to

best way of revising 4Rs
revisit
reduce
rehearse
retrieve
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The key is to understand what the question is asking for. For example, I could write the best essay ever written analysing the causes of the first world war, but if the question is asking me to say whether or not cause A was the most important, I might still do badly if I don't answer the question directly. I have to say specifically 'therefore, cause A was/ wasn't the most significant cause of WW!'. The same goes for all types of exam questions.

Explain the process of mitosis -> Don't say why mitosis occurs, EXPLAIN each stage specifically.
Compare the presentation of love in poems A and B. -> don't analyse the two poems separately, COMPARE different elements of the poems relating to the theme of love.

It is also helpful to read over mark schemes and exemplar answers so that you know specifically what you need to include in each type of answer. For history A level I really struggled with one type of essay in particular, so before my exams I planned and wrote one paragraph that I could include in an essay every single day for 3 weeks before my exam so that they became easier to write. I didn't memorise my answers, it was just a good way to revise the content whilst practicing writing practice paragraphs whilst I could look at the mark scheme and make sure that I had all the elements they were looking for. This would be a bit much at GCSE level, but practice questions are the way to go in order to practice exam technique! They get easier the more you do, as long as you mark them/ compare them to a mark scheme afterward
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (96)
72.18%
No (37)
27.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed