working only minimum wage effect my chances at Kings college now that I am mature?

Watch
Plufouree
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to study political economy, but after my a levels I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I took two gap years in France teaching English, then as I was about to apply covid came.

I didn't want to go to university with a pandemic going on, so I just looked for a job near home in the uk. All I've been able to work is minimum wage jobs.

will this look bad as I am now 21?
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would it matter to whom? If you’re planning on going directly from that to a £75k a year executive role, yes, people would care. Going from that to a degree? No, no one will care.
Fuzzi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, not at all It looks way better than long term unemployment anyway
joanneg76
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You will have some excellent experience to write about on your personal statement when you apply. Make sure that you link all your transferable skills to the course that you want to study.
I got an offer from kings after more than 20 years away from education and I’ve worked my fair share of low wage jobs!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Plufouree)
I want to study political economy, but after my a levels I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I took two gap years in France teaching English, then as I was about to apply covid came.

I didn't want to go to university with a pandemic going on, so I just looked for a job near home in the uk. All I've been able to work is minimum wage jobs.

will this look bad as I am now 21?
No it won't look bad. Kings will be more interested in your A level grades than anything else, and whether they match the requirements of the course you are applying for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (99)
72.26%
No (38)
27.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed