The Student Room Group

How easily do you trust people on the internet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Synergy~
Hm I need to think about that. If you want you can have my socials or number to ask again later.

Don't give your number out, moron. Unless, you can trust people, and only do it on pm only.
i dont trust them for a year at least
Reply 62
I don't trust anyone but I have taken a gamble many times only when I feel I can

Like I've given out my number to people on dating sites/apps but only because I know I can block them easily

Never given out personal details though
I don't trust them. Full stop.
Unless I've gotten to know them privately for a very long time, in which case trust would automatically arise.
Original post by Eggs and Bacon
Don't give your number out, moron. Unless, you can trust people, and only do it on pm only.

r/woosh
Original post by Eggs and Bacon

"Do you think a girl should go to bed with a fella if he doesn't love her?"
"No, unless it's me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o4zDSvjuRY&t=12s
Original post by Kasterine
Not really. I private all social media but I don't even use them very often except Discord. I wouldn't really trust anyone too much unless I've met them.

The Internet is the internet, even if accounts have been made "private" your account and information is still public information to data companies. Your on Instagram, Facebook can read all your DMs and see all your posts and they will forward it to data companies and then forward that data onto whoever is willing to pay for that data. Discord is also pretty bad since once again they can read all your messages and their "don't sell data" can be very easily bypassed.
Original post by FairyVibes
The Internet is the internet, even if accounts have been made "private" your account and information is still public information to data companies. Your on Instagram, Facebook can read all your DMs and see all your posts and they will forward it to data companies and then forward that data onto whoever is willing to pay for that data. Discord is also pretty bad since once again they can read all your messages and their "don't sell data" can be very easily bypassed.

I know anything I do on the Internet can be accessed by the data companies. But the type of people I'm talking about are just the general people using the application.
I had a online friend for like 4 years in the US and I met them in real life when I was over there.
It went well; like they were genuine and we had a great time together.
But it's mad to think that actually happened.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yeetouttawindow
I had a online friend for like 4 years in the US and I met them in real life when I was over there.

aww that's actually amazing :smile:
Original post by Qxi.xli
Personally, I think I trust people too easily (in real life and online) smh. Like I've given my Instagram and my number out to people on TSR (for work related reasons lol), but looking back I think that was a stupid idea and I really shouldn't have done that. 🤦*♀️

Psychological research showsthat you are more likely to be attached or trust someone online way quicker than in real life , this is because of anonymity and an absence of “gates” . Gates like , physical appearance, shyness so your not wrong also your more likely to fall in love quicker online too :smile:
Original post by neelamm0001
Psychological research showsthat you are more likely to be attached or trust someone online way quicker than in real life , this is because of anonymity and an absence of “gates” . Gates like , physical appearance, shyness so your not wrong also your more likely to fall in love quicker online too :smile:

That makes sense actually :smile:
Original post by Kasterine
I know anything I do on the Internet can be accessed by the data companies. But the type of people I'm talking about are just the general people using the application.

Not literally everything or if your taking good privacy measures or at least the data tied back is useless. I tbh wouldn't talk to you know, 'normal' or 'general' people on apps that spy and monitor me, just my opinion and advice
Original post by yeetouttawindow

awww, thats actually so cute. Would be cool to meet someone irl met on the internet
Original post by Mr.Nameless
You're not alone.
I had to change my number 3 times and now my 4th one. I wanted to change that too but then I can't always annoy my professors by changing my numbers. So, I decided to block away numbers. The list is big.
My Instagram was with many but then I deleted all my social accounts and created new ones last year and I've limited my interactions.

The amount of my personal info I gave to strangers makes me scared to live. Lol!
Honestly, attending online sessions is very difficult cuz on the back of my head I have this thought someone might recognise you and disclose everything.

Anyways, growing up I'm not worried anymore.

Funny fact, when someone reminds me of something that was actually a secret and I regret disclosing it, I just pretend I don't remember it. It worked a lot!!!

I could relate myself bit by bit in yours.

Take Care!

It's actually amazing though, if you seem like you genuinely have 0 clue what they are talking about it makes one feel crazy so hence they will believe oh. This never happened. For phone numbers, I have 3 phone numbers for different purposes and just have email forwarding so I dont have to give out my real email each time. I mean as for regret someone might pick up on past actions or disclose/ expose you, I never regret my past as ig its what makes me me. Each mistake is something you should learn from
You're not alone.
I had to change my number 3 times and now my 4th one. I wanted to change that too but then I can't always annoy my professors by changing my numbers. So, I decided to block away numbers. The list is big.
My Instagram was with many but then I deleted all my social accounts and created new ones last year and I've limited my interactions.

The amount of my personal info I gave to strangers makes me scared to live. Lol!
Honestly, attending online sessions is very difficult cuz on the back of my head I have this thought someone might recognise you and disclose everything.

Anyways, growing up I'm not worried anymore.

Funny fact, when someone reminds me of something that was actually a secret and I regret disclosing it, I just pretend I don't remember it. It worked a lot!!!

I could relate myself bit by bit in yours.

Take Care!

Haha that's amazing 😂
You too x
(edited 2 years ago)
Social media is full of chavs. No higher educational or decent family background. You can't meet nice decent people there. I don't use social media.
I don’t trust people a lot on the internet, especially because i know of people who made mistakes and then someone else would screenshot it, post it on their snap and ridicule them for it. Or even when people expose others private pictures. I get that they shouldn’t have done those things in the first place but people don’t need to be exposed about every mistake that they make.
Original post by The-evil-potato
I don’t trust people a lot on the internet, especially because i know of people who made mistakes and then someone else would screenshot it, post it on their snap and ridicule them for it. Or even when people expose others private pictures. I get that they shouldn’t have done those things in the first place but people don’t need to be exposed about every mistake that they make.

I agree 100%.
Because of the internet, just one mistake can potentially ruin someone's life.
(edited 2 years ago)
Innit!!
lmao!
My aunt taught me to do that! :colondollar:
You're right... our past teaches us!
I do the same now. I've 2 different numbers and 2 emails.

So your fears vanished?
I hope you're not leaving TSR now? :rolleyes:

Hahah not vanished yet lol, still gotta be safe😂
Not for the next year atleast😂 x

Quick Reply

Latest