The Student Room Group

What Can I Expect at LAE (Stratford)

I am currently in year 11 and have six weeks of exams left before I finish my entire GCSE's. I have received my conditional offer at LAE (My first choice), and looking to study Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics at A-Level. I just wanted to ask current or former students how life at that 6th form was, especially for those who did/are doing subjects similar to me: workload, support, extracurricular etc. Also how was doing A-level work in lockdown like? This post is not exclusive to LAE, and I would appreciate hearing your experiences in other 6th forms like NCS, or Brampton. Thank you for any responses :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shiken_Nugits
I am currently in year 11 and have six weeks of exams left before I finish my entire GCSE's. I have received my conditional offer at LAE (My first choice), and looking to study Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics at A-Level. I just wanted to ask current or former students how life at that 6th form was, especially for those who did/are doing subjects similar to me: workload, support, extracurricular etc. Also how was doing A-level work in lockdown like? This post is not exclusive to LAE, and I would appreciate hearing your experiences in other 6th forms like NCS, or Brampton. Thank you for any responses :smile:

Hi ! I am not sure what LAE you are referring to but I currently attend LAE Stratford if you wanted information on it?
Original post by ZR2002
Hi ! I am not sure what LAE you are referring to but I currently attend LAE Stratford if you wanted information on it?

Sorry my bad, yes the one in Stratford :P
Reply 3
Sorry my bad, yes the one in Stratford :P

ok cool - i currently take bio, chem, maths and further maths so pretty much the same subjects. workload is big but you should expect that at any sixth form that is high achieving and doing stem subjects is intense. however, the support is great. there are weekly drop ins for every subject where you can get support if you need it and the teachers are really supportive so its easy to ask them for help or ask questions if you need to. LOADS of extracurriculars lol- pathways for like uni and stuff, academic literacy, uni prep, sports, clubs, student networks, things with the partner schools and quite a few other things. in lockdown when we were online it was defo hard I'm not going to sugar coat, but we all had normal lessons on teams with cameras on and it feels as much like a normal lesson as they can make it. it was harder to stay motivated and on top of work but teachers were understanding so like if we needed extensions they were happy to help. also pastoral care is great so they try to look after mental health within students etc.if you have any specific questions lmk and i hope you found this helpful
Original post by ZR2002
ok cool - i currently take bio, chem, maths and further maths so pretty much the same subjects. workload is big but you should expect that at any sixth form that is high achieving and doing stem subjects is intense. however, the support is great. there are weekly drop ins for every subject where you can get support if you need it and the teachers are really supportive so its easy to ask them for help or ask questions if you need to. LOADS of extracurriculars lol- pathways for like uni and stuff, academic literacy, uni prep, sports, clubs, student networks, things with the partner schools and quite a few other things. in lockdown when we were online it was defo hard I'm not going to sugar coat, but we all had normal lessons on teams with cameras on and it feels as much like a normal lesson as they can make it. it was harder to stay motivated and on top of work but teachers were understanding so like if we needed extensions they were happy to help. also pastoral care is great so they try to look after mental health within students etc.if you have any specific questions lmk and i hope you found this helpful

Thank you so much for your reply, and yeah I have a few q's.
How do bursaries work & how much do you get?
Do you UNIDAYS?
Which do you find harder, Bio or Chem? and why.
How do you usually spend your frees?
How many hours a day do you study, how many on weekends?
Are you in Year 12 or 13?
I have June July and August off, what would you suggest I do before A-level. I want to become a doctor, and shadowing a GP during lockdown is difficult
Are you planning to pursue medicine?
When were/are your exams? Did/Do you feel prepared for them: The teachers did all that they could.
What are your favourite extracurricular? (Do you get to choose? Is it compulsory?)
Have you ever cried due to stress?
How did "the jump" between GCSE and A-Level feel?
Finally, how is the food lol?

Thanks again (◞≼◎≽◟◞౪◟◞≼◎≽◟)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Do you UNIDAYS?
I have June July and August off, what would you suggest I do before A-level. I want to become a doctor, and shadowing a GP during lockdown is difficult
When were/are your exams? Did/Do you feel prepared for them: The teachers did all that they could.
What are your favourite extracurricular? (Do you get to choose? Is it compulsory?)

Hi - i am so sorry for the late reply- i didn't see this! you have probably already enrolled at a sixth form but lemme answer your questions anyway!!
you can apply for bursaries, but I'm not too sure how much you get. Personally I think the bio content is harder because there is so much of it, but the chemistry exams are harder imo. Both subjects have hard content and the exams are difficult because the answers are superrr specific but at the start of year 12 I had trouble getting A*s in chem exams even tho i was confident on the topics bc the exam technique is challenging. I have a UNIDAYS account but you can get one if you are in any isxth form i think. Ok, i do four A levels, everyone starts with 4 but most drop to 3 by the end of year 12, so they have about 7 frees a week. I get one, and i spend it in my maths extension class because we learn some really cool stuff lol. Students usually have to stay in school for their frees so most just go to the library / agora and chill and revise together or independently. I've just finished year 12 and am going into year 13 atm. If i'd seen this earlier i couldve given you advice for mdv prep but its prob a bit late now for summer lol. Just be confident on the gcse contnet for your a levels - when you sign up for the mdv pathway near the start of the year they'll help you prepare adequately for your mdv application throughout year 12. I was planning to pursue medicine so i joined the mdv pathway and sutck with it but I found that even though i had been sure on mdv (medicine, dentistry or veterinary med) since like year 6, the further along into the year, i found myself wondering if i could handle the stress. Also i had intially just picked fm a level to fill in a fourth subject as I loved maths. then as maths got harder in a level i realised i was really passionate about it and basically by april I had decided to switch to maths. Kind of crazy bc i had barely any maths orep and had already done mdv work pexperience but I'm happy with the change. I still think mdv is amazing, but i don't like bio a level as much as maths and fm so i doubt i'll enjoy a degree in mdv.
ok so with exams, we have HTAs (half term assessments) every half term lol, but also mocks. our first mocks were supposed to be in January but due to lockdown they got pushed to march and we just had jan online htas instead. we had end of year exams (mocks) about two weeks before school ended (so like june 20th-27th ish?). the teachers prepare you for your exams. to be fair, with my subjects i find that a lot of it is up to you so i spent lots of time outside of school revising and getting prepared for exams but all the support you need is there from the teachers- it's just about taking it. for htas they would tell us how best to revise, adn we alwyas go over our htas after theyve been marked which is so helpful bc it stops you making the same mistakes in your more important exams like mocks. we also went over our march mock exams too which is good. you can go to intervention or drop in for more help with certain topics/ questions and if you focus in lessons, do the homework properly and revise the exams are fine. tbf i think the exams get much harder as you progress, bc they cover more content and I kept four so had like 7 exams for my end of years but you get better at coping with them, and the htas are more to help you get all your mistakes out of the way if ygm. like as the year went on, my exam technique improved majorly and by going over my answers, i found the way that was best for exams for me. i never feeel 100% prepped for an exam bc of the nerves but I do go in knowing i've done all I can and then i'm usually happy with the results- but I do prep for my exams a lot bc they're important.
Reply 6
Do you UNIDAYS?

I'm gonna reply in two parts bc it was getting a bit long lol- ok so extracurriculars might be my favouritte part of LAE. I really like how even though it is a school that has high academic attainment and great teaching, there are loads of opportunities to take breaks and be balanced. i'm gonna talk abt the fun extracurriculars bc personally i count academic literacy/EPQ as more academic. so on wednesdays you have clubs and societies- you can pick whcih one you do and you can change each term. I initially picked parliamentary debating bc i thought it would make me better at interviews but i ended up loving it so so much that when applications opened for a new leader of the club i applied and got it- so then i did BP debate for the whole year. you can stay in your club the whole year but i think its fun to try new things, or even start your own when the opportunity arises! so you either join a club or society and those are on wednesdays. on thrusdays its sport and that's also compulsory. bc of covid most sports were limited and online so i did yoga for two terms then mindfullness walking for the last term bc more stuff could be in person. its more a social thing but nice to get time out of studying and with friends bc this year we weren't allowed to stay in school for lunch unless we had after school activities in person, but most extracurrics were online for safety. so having in person sport in the last term was super nice. if nt for covid there are usually way more options and lunch is also on site so its nicer but I like that LAE puts time for sports/ clubs in your timetable. on top of all this- you can apply to join 1 of 5 of the student networks- there is the mental health network(MHN) , BAME, LGBT, GEN, and eco network. joining the MHN has to be my fav extracurricular- it was super fun to work with the year 13s and we got ot plan and do cool events such as appreciation day and PDD. if you are coming to LAE JOIN THE MHN. bc i'm one of its 3 leaders this year and we're the best network in my objective opinion. I have definitely cried due to stress but I can be quite an emotional person and i put a lot of pressure on myself so I'm not sure it's school related but school stress does add on- but there was once this year i can remember where i was really spirally and overwhelmed due to stress and school but i spoke to my teachers and they were super understanding, they gace me extensions on my homework etc so that was a huge help.
Th ejump in content is not that bad for maths and fm imo- we move fast but it's fun. for chem the contetn starts out pretty similar to gcse so it doesn't feel like a big jump but the exams are a shock bc you do way worse than you expect lol. but that's kind of the point ig. for bio the content just becomes a lot 'more' like its not much harder at the start but its in more detail, and way more to learn. the workload is way harder bc there is a ton of homework but if you're used to working hard at gcse you'll be fine. but don't expect to coast and get A *s bc a level is defo not like that lol. my secondary school had the worst food ever so i was so grateful for the LAE food but after hacing it for a year I'd say it's good for the price but not the best thing in the world. again i'm so sorry for the late reply, i hope you are coming to LAE and if you have any mroe questions let me know and hoepfully i will not take 4 months to respond lmao . hope this helped :smile:

What grades did you put on your application?
Original post by ZR2002
I'm gonna reply in two parts bc it was getting a bit long lol- ok so extracurriculars might be my favouritte part of LAE. I really like how even though it is a school that has high academic attainment and great teaching, there are loads of opportunities to take breaks and be balanced. i'm gonna talk abt the fun extracurriculars bc personally i count academic literacy/EPQ as more academic. so on wednesdays you have clubs and societies- you can pick whcih one you do and you can change each term. I initially picked parliamentary debating bc i thought it would make me better at interviews but i ended up loving it so so much that when applications opened for a new leader of the club i applied and got it- so then i did BP debate for the whole year. you can stay in your club the whole year but i think its fun to try new things, or even start your own when the opportunity arises! so you either join a club or society and those are on wednesdays. on thrusdays its sport and that's also compulsory. bc of covid most sports were limited and online so i did yoga for two terms then mindfullness walking for the last term bc more stuff could be in person. its more a social thing but nice to get time out of studying and with friends bc this year we weren't allowed to stay in school for lunch unless we had after school activities in person, but most extracurrics were online for safety. so having in person sport in the last term was super nice. if nt for covid there are usually way more options and lunch is also on site so its nicer but I like that LAE puts time for sports/ clubs in your timetable. on top of all this- you can apply to join 1 of 5 of the student networks- there is the mental health network(MHN) , BAME, LGBT, GEN, and eco network. joining the MHN has to be my fav extracurricular- it was super fun to work with the year 13s and we got ot plan and do cool events such as appreciation day and PDD. if you are coming to LAE JOIN THE MHN. bc i'm one of its 3 leaders this year and we're the best network in my objective opinion. I have definitely cried due to stress but I can be quite an emotional person and i put a lot of pressure on myself so I'm not sure it's school related but school stress does add on- but there was once this year i can remember where i was really spirally and overwhelmed due to stress and school but i spoke to my teachers and they were super understanding, they gace me extensions on my homework etc so that was a huge help.
Th ejump in content is not that bad for maths and fm imo- we move fast but it's fun. for chem the contetn starts out pretty similar to gcse so it doesn't feel like a big jump but the exams are a shock bc you do way worse than you expect lol. but that's kind of the point ig. for bio the content just becomes a lot 'more' like its not much harder at the start but its in more detail, and way more to learn. the workload is way harder bc there is a ton of homework but if you're used to working hard at gcse you'll be fine. but don't expect to coast and get A *s bc a level is defo not like that lol. my secondary school had the worst food ever so i was so grateful for the LAE food but after hacing it for a year I'd say it's good for the price but not the best thing in the world. again i'm so sorry for the late reply, i hope you are coming to LAE and if you have any mroe questions let me know and hoepfully i will not take 4 months to respond lmao . hope this helped :smile:

Is all the food halal?
Reply 9
Original post by lowkey_s26
Is all the food halal?

yep
Original post by ZR2002
yep

PRSOM, I keep liking your replies but oh well
Original post by ZR2002

OMG thank you so much for your response, i really appreciate that you took the time to actually write this! You have definitely been the most useful person in terms of information and insight. I have indeed enrolled into lae and i am in class U3: teacher - Ms May. I will deffo check out the MHN since you really enjoyed it (and that you're also one if its leaders lol). I attended a summer session for bio on the 25th and I wonder if you were there. I did have a few more questions (because 14 wasnt enough):
What method of revision have you found to be most effective; because I find just making notes, and LOADS of practice questions to be fine - I'v tried flash cards but I wasn't a fan: do you have any suggestions?
Are form classes for yr 12 and 13 mixed?
Have you still been able to go out with friends, despite the workload and covid?
Is Westfield actually thaaaat useful since its right next to the sixth form?
and yeah thats all iv got at the moment.Thanks again for your efforts and I hope to see ya some day!
P.S. I really respect how you swapped to pursuing a maths degree from an mdv one, since you thought it was right for u.
Original post by lowkey_s26
What grades did you put on your application?

I put:
Eng Lit: 7 Lang: 7 Maths: 8 Chem: 8 Physics: 8 Bio: 8 Further maths: 7 PE: 8 RE: 7 History: 6 Spanish: 6 CS: 8 Stats: 7

Then what I got was:
Eng Lit: 8 Lang: 8 Maths: 8 Chem: 8 Physics: 8 Bio: 8 Further maths: 7 PE: 8 RE: 8 History: 6 Spanish: 8 CS: 7 Stats: 7
Reply 13
OMG thank you so much for your response, i really appreciate that you took the time to actually write this! You have definitely been the most useful person in terms of information and insight. I have indeed enrolled into lae and i am in class U3: teacher - Ms May. I will deffo check out the MHN since you really enjoyed it (and that you're also one if its leaders lol). I attended a summer session for bio on the 25th and I wonder if you were there. I did have a few more questions (because 14 wasnt enough):
What method of revision have you found to be most effective; because I find just making notes, and LOADS of practice questions to be fine - I'v tried flash cards but I wasn't a fan: do you have any suggestions?
Are form classes for yr 12 and 13 mixed?
Have you still been able to go out with friends, despite the workload and covid?
Is Westfield actually thaaaat useful since its right next to the sixth form?
and yeah thats all iv got at the moment.Thanks again for your efforts and I hope to see ya some day!
P.S. I really respect how you swapped to pursuing a maths degree from an mdv one, since you thought it was right for u.

oooh i have friends in U3. Ms May can be strict but they're really nice ppl so you should enjoy it. The form classes are mixed and bc there are no longer year group bubbles you'll see the year 13s from your form everyday so it will be nice to get to know them and stuff, and you can ask them for any help if needed. there'll be a network stall on the 8th I believe so come by the MHN stall and I'll be there. Revision wise- for GCSE i ofund note taking was enough and doing questions but for A level you need to consistently revise content. so past paper questions but also ensure you get your wording correct bc otherwise you don't secure the marks, even if you understood the question. so I'd make sure you know the content throughout the year and keep going back to it (not just for exams) and then making notes on practicals as well. At gcse i found flashcards not that useful either but they come in handy for chem and bio to learn definitions and equations bc there is a lot of content. tbf as you go through this ear you'll adjust your revision to suit the change in exams so you should be good.
due to COVID i didn't go out that much, but I have had time to go out with my friends this year. granted not loads, because i put more importance on school so I'd only go out if I had time but I have been able to balance workload, out of timetable extracurriuclars, and friends. but bc of COVID lunchtimes were off site so we had to go home, and most of our extracurrics were online so you had less time to make friends other than with the people in your form and classes, and much less exposure to the Year 13s which was sad bc everyone I'd met had been lovely so it would've been nice to know more ppl.
Westfield is actually greatttt to have so close by. I was skeptical at first and it was shut for a lot of the year due to covid and stuff but it's great to just go out wth friends after school one day, or grab lunch if you don't want agora food, or just like get out a bit if ygm. I went there more towards the end of the year and it is defo useful bc its legit a five min walk away. also stratford centre is even closer so that's useful too.
If you have any more questions you can pm me- or feel free to give me your snap and we can talk there :smile: i look forward to meeting you! (also what's your name lol)
Original post by ZR2002
oooh i have friends in U3. Ms May can be strict but they're really nice ppl so you should enjoy it. The form classes are mixed and bc there are no longer year group bubbles you'll see the year 13s from your form everyday so it will be nice to get to know them and stuff, and you can ask them for any help if needed. there'll be a network stall on the 8th I believe so come by the MHN stall and I'll be there. Revision wise- for GCSE i ofund note taking was enough and doing questions but for A level you need to consistently revise content. so past paper questions but also ensure you get your wording correct bc otherwise you don't secure the marks, even if you understood the question. so I'd make sure you know the content throughout the year and keep going back to it (not just for exams) and then making notes on practicals as well. At gcse i found flashcards not that useful either but they come in handy for chem and bio to learn definitions and equations bc there is a lot of content. tbf as you go through this ear you'll adjust your revision to suit the change in exams so you should be good.
due to COVID i didn't go out that much, but I have had time to go out with my friends this year. granted not loads, because i put more importance on school so I'd only go out if I had time but I have been able to balance workload, out of timetable extracurriuclars, and friends. but bc of COVID lunchtimes were off site so we had to go home, and most of our extracurrics were online so you had less time to make friends other than with the people in your form and classes, and much less exposure to the Year 13s which was sad bc everyone I'd met had been lovely so it would've been nice to know more ppl.
Westfield is actually greatttt to have so close by. I was skeptical at first and it was shut for a lot of the year due to covid and stuff but it's great to just go out wth friends after school one day, or grab lunch if you don't want agora food, or just like get out a bit if ygm. I went there more towards the end of the year and it is defo useful bc its legit a five min walk away. also stratford centre is even closer so that's useful too.
If you have any more questions you can pm me- or feel free to give me your snap and we can talk there :smile: i look forward to meeting you! (also what's your name lol)

Thanks a lot for your help again, my name is Shuaib Ali.
Reply 15
Hi guys I’m in year 11 rn and applied to lae but I just have a few questions
What is the sports kit? Is there a long sleeve?
Also for the general uniform are you allowed to wear a jumper over the shirt?
Original post by Sojukee
Hi guys I’m in year 11 rn and applied to lae but I just have a few questions
What is the sports kit? Is there a long sleeve?
Also for the general uniform are you allowed to wear a jumper over the shirt?

There is both a long sleeve and t-shirt. You wear your own bottoms. You can get the PE kit for free if you receive free school meals. The uniform is pretty lax - we've abolished ties lol. But yeah I have seen some ppl wearing jumpers over their shirts. Tbh the uniform now is just formal. Just nothing too casual.
Reply 17
There is both a long sleeve and t-shirt. You wear your own bottoms. You can get the PE kit for free if you receive free school meals. The uniform is pretty lax - we've abolished ties lol. But yeah I have seen some ppl wearing jumpers over their shirts. Tbh the uniform now is just formal. Just nothing too casual.

Oh thank you !!
Also I have a question about the entry requirements. I plan to take bio chem religious studies and Psychology, but online the entry requirement for chemistry is a 7 in chem and an 8 in maths. If I don’t get the 8 in maths but get above a 7 in chem do you think they’ll still give me the place for the course?
Original post by Sojukee
Oh thank you !!
Also I have a question about the entry requirements. I plan to take bio chem religious studies and Psychology, but online the entry requirement for chemistry is a 7 in chem and an 8 in maths. If I don’t get the 8 in maths but get above a 7 in chem do you think they’ll still give me the place for the course?

Hmm I'm not sure, but I would DEFINITELY try to get a high grade for maths regardless. Definitely try to reach the requirements :smile: I can't really add anything else, GL!
Reply 19
Hmm I'm not sure, but I would DEFINITELY try to get a high grade for maths regardless. Definitely try to reach the requirements :smile: I can't really add anything else, GL!

Thank you!! I wish I was naturally gifted with maths 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending