The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship and a levels

I am currently doing a level 3 business administration apprenticeship at my sixth form college. I am 18, and would like to sit a levels online as a private candidate after I complete my apprenticeship. Do people do this, as I only did the apprenticeship to give me some financial support whilst living at home?
Original post by EH34
I am currently doing a level 3 business administration apprenticeship at my sixth form college. I am 18, and would like to sit a levels online as a private candidate after I complete my apprenticeship. Do people do this, as I only did the apprenticeship to give me some financial support whilst living at home?

I go and pick an online college. Prior to that, I would research the exam boards and see which ones you are OK studying with. The course material would be provided by the college, so it saves you buying the textbooks. There may be one or 2 colleges where they expect you to pay for your course material though.

I'd also check the reviews for the courses you want to do.

To do the exams, you would need to find an approved exam centre on your exam board's website. The admin and exam fees are payable to the exam centre, and they would take care of all the admin for the A Level.

The alternative to doing A Levels online would be to buy the study text and learn yourself. The disadvantages of this are you don't get tutor support, and you won't be able to get an assessed grade if there's another lockdown. The college would also distill the study material to the essentials.

I would recommend looking into extra practice questions and question banks in addition to your online course.

Do you have any idea of what A Levels you want to do?
Original post by MindMax2000
I go and pick an online college. Prior to that, I would research the exam boards and see which ones you are OK studying with. The course material would be provided by the college, so it saves you buying the textbooks. There may be one or 2 colleges where they expect you to pay for your course material though.

I'd also check the reviews for the courses you want to do.

To do the exams, you would need to find an approved exam centre on your exam board's website. The admin and exam fees are payable to the exam centre, and they would take care of all the admin for the A Level.

The alternative to doing A Levels online would be to buy the study text and learn yourself. The disadvantages of this are you don't get tutor support, and you won't be able to get an assessed grade if there's another lockdown. The college would also distill the study material to the essentials.

I would recommend looking into extra practice questions and question banks in addition to your online course.

Do you have any idea of what A Levels you want to do?

Hi,

Thanks for this - really helpful information. Yes, I would like to do 2 or 3 a levels. I would like to do English Literature and History, combined with maybe Economics. Are these subjects regarded as useful preparation for law degree? It's something I've thought of doing, although I'm not making any definite decisions just yet.
Original post by EH34
Hi,

Thanks for this - really helpful information. Yes, I would like to do 2 or 3 a levels. I would like to do English Literature and History, combined with maybe Economics. Are these subjects regarded as useful preparation for law degree? It's something I've thought of doing, although I'm not making any definite decisions just yet.

Law degrees to my knowledge do not have specific subject requirements. You can essentially do A Levels in whatever you like and still be able to do law provided your grades are high enough, score well on the LNAT, and have the perfect personal statement.

History and English Lit A Levels are the preferred subjects because they're more essay based, but it wouldn't work against you if you studied something else.

If you want to get into law, you might also want to check with some of the professionals about the SQE, which may means you don't need the degree to become a solicitor. I am not sure on the details, so I might be wrong there.
However, to be a barrister, I think you still need to do the law degree and pass the bar under a barrister's pupilage.

Quick Reply

Latest