martius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've recently received offers from four universities: LSE (Msc IR), UCL (ISPS), KCL (War Studies) and Durham (Combined Honours in Social Sciences). Can anyone tell me anything about their experiences in studying at these courses? Ideally the best choice for me is LSE since International Relations is really the best to study there, but I don't exactly lean towards that London life and prefer somewhere which is a sanctuary of its own, especially due to my anxiety and possible depression. I guess I'm used to studying hard, but I want to make sure before firming my choices. Thanks for any help in advance!

(PS: I'm really nervous about living in London as well since I've always lived in the suburbs or where it's more quiet, and I'm currently studying at a boarding school in the countryside. So it'll be great if someone in a similar situation as I am could offer some insight into how they deal with their anxiety in the city, thanks!)
Last edited by martius; 3 weeks ago
username5574196
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My older brother goes UCL and he brags about it all the time. It’s good don’t get me wrong but LSE is something else. It is literally rare to get into that uni so if you do props to you. It is so competitive and they’re known for their world class teaching
Akankshaasthana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey!

Take a deep breath and just relax.

You have bagged the offers from the best ones. Now if we talk about studying in the main city vs suburbs. First thing, why are you going abroad to study? Possible answer: To get the best education with the international exposure. Or please let me know if anything else is in your mind.

Now, if you study in suburbs, the charm is the peaceful and slow life in country side that you already have enjoyed till date. How about trying participating in endless course related seminars, workshops from eminent leaders in the heart of the city? Yes, you can enjoy this while studying at the country side too, but what about traveling to the city (1-2 hours one side) every time you want to be a part of some event.

Likewise, yes the university on its own are huge and sufficient for students but as you mentioned about depression and anxiety, you make friends at new place, explore the new city and international teams are extremely helpful out there to sort out your concerns.

(Mod edit - line removed)

I hope this helps.
martius
Rep:
?
(Original post by Akankshaasthana)
Hey!

Take a deep breath and just relax.

You have bagged the offers from the best ones. Now if we talk about studying in the main city vs suburbs. First thing, why are you going abroad to study? Possible answer: To get the best education with the international exposure. Or please let me know if anything else is in your mind.

Now, if you study in suburbs, the charm is the peaceful and slow life in country side that you already have enjoyed till date. How about trying participating in endless course related seminars, workshops from eminent leaders in the heart of the city? Yes, you can enjoy this while studying at the country side too, but what about traveling to the city (1-2 hours one side) every time you want to be a part of some event.

Likewise, yes the university on its own are huge and sufficient for students but as you mentioned about depression and anxiety, you make friends at new place, explore the new city and international teams are extremely helpful out there to sort out your concerns.

And, I am just a call away to sort your queries

I hope this helps.
Hi! Thank you so much for your response! You're right about the going abroad to study part, I'm actually already an international student at the boarding school I've mentioned and the international exposure is so completely different that it blows my mind

I suppose it's really just about finding that right support at the universities, haha. I'm actually from a city myself in my home country, so it's probably a bit ridiculous for me to worry about studying in London, but I've been to London a handful of times and it's completely overwhelming compared to my home city, especially since I'm an Asian student as well...

I guess the thing that's hindering my choices right now is the debate between LSE and UCL - LSE is right in Central London and the worst part of London, but I feel like I'm throwing away a really good chance if I rejected them, so that's my concern now :/

And omg tysm for your support, I'll definitely text if I need anything! Are you a university student yourself, btw?
martius
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kawalas108)
My older brother goes UCL and he brags about it all the time. It’s good don’t get me wrong but LSE is something else. It is literally rare to get into that uni so if you do props to you. It is so competitive and they’re known for their world class teaching
That's part of the pressure on me right now actually - I honestly prefer the UCL campus over LSE campus (or lack thereof), but the course is interesting and literally everyone's telling me to go
pslse24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by martius)
That's part of the pressure on me right now actually - I honestly prefer the UCL campus over LSE campus (or lack thereof), but the course is interesting and literally everyone's telling me to go
I did one year at LSE, but have decided to move to UCL this year.... gave me way too much anxiety Havent experienced studying at UCL yet, but would 100% recommend for a better campus feel. If anything i realised this year mental health is priority - also heard lots of great things about UCL, and all my friends love it. But again up to you, if you prefer the course at LSE then thats obviously also very important
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! Thank you so much for your response! You're right about the going abroad to study part, I'm actually already an international student at the boarding school I've mentioned and the international exposure is so completely different that it blows my mind

I suppose it's really just about finding that right support at the universities, haha. I'm actually from a city myself in my home country, so it's probably a bit ridiculous for me to worry about studying in London, but I've been to London a handful of times and it's completely overwhelming compared to my home city, especially since I'm an Asian student as well...

I guess the thing that's hindering my choices right now is the debate between LSE and UCL - LSE is right in Central London and the worst part of London, but I feel like I'm throwing away a really good chance if I rejected them, so that's my concern now :/

And omg tysm for your support, I'll definitely text if I need anything! Are you a university student yourself, btw?
How is LSE in "the worst part of London?"
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you don't have a clear idea of what you want do once you graduate, then possibly the Durham course is a good choice as its potentially the broadest and the most flexible. It would allow you to study a range of subjects and pursue your study interests as they develop during the degree. Also, Durham is a smaller, quieter Uni and a less busy place to live, and this might suit you better than being in London.

Have a look at the Campus Tour films for each Uni on YouTube - and look at the tourist films there about Durham.
Akankshaasthana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Well, I am an education consultant.

One last thing, always go by the course and the modules you want to study. Don't blindly follow the rankings, as it changes. What remains with you is what you study to build your desired career.

All the best!
martius
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
How is LSE in "the worst part of London?"
It's just my own preference - personally I really hate it when it gets really crowded and there are a lot of people everywhere. I've had the chance to walk past the area that LSE was in pre covid times and compared to other parts that I visited it was pretty overwhelming
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's just my own preference - personally I really hate it when it gets really crowded and there are a lot of people everywhere. I've had the chance to walk past the area that LSE was in pre covid times and compared to other parts that I visited it was pretty overwhelming
We have very different ideas of what constitutes "the worst part of London"!

It's not that UCL and King's are far away from LSE - just a few minutes walk.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I love the area that LSE is in, but we're all different - and even I wouldn't necessarily want to spend 3/4 years living there. If you find central London overwhelming I would say that's a pretty good indication that you would feel more confortable in a much quieter area like Durham. It's still an excellent university and seems a better choice for you personally.
martius
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
We have very different ideas of what constitutes "the worst part of London"!

It's not that UCL and King's are far away from LSE - just a few minutes walk.
I've only been there for three or four times so I definitely wouldn't have as solid of an opinion as you do, haha

That's true - but the reason I was considering those two is because of their campuses. I haven't been to either of those schools but I've seen them online and they seem to at least have a campus in the middle of London. I've also been to Bloomsbury which is the area around UCL, and it was a quiet and nice neighbourhood, which some of the UCL students on orientation did say was a relief in the middle of bustling London, so I was considering UCL
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've only been there for three or four times so I definitely wouldn't have as solid of an opinion as you do, haha

That's true - but the reason I was considering those two is because of their campuses. I haven't been to either of those schools but I've seen them online and they seem to at least have a campus in the middle of London. I've also been to Bloomsbury which is the area around UCL, and it was a quiet and nice neighbourhood, which some of the UCL students on orientation did say was a relief in the middle of bustling London, so I was considering UCL
I doubt that you would notice much difference between the 3 London unis after a term or so. As harrysbar says above you might well be better off at Durham.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (188)
75.2%
No (62)
24.8%

Watched Threads