Religious Studies v Psychology for A-Level?

Watch
kasig195
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey there, choosing my a-levels this year; which one do you recommend. Any info opinion will help. Thankss
UKJ
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by kasig195)
Hey there, choosing my a-levels this year; which one do you recommend. Any info opinion will help. Thankss
Hii,
I remember when I picked my A levels which was only a few months ago, I also struggled to pick between Psychology and RS. I judged what to pick based on how interested I was in the subject, whether I would be willing to do further reading or extra work. Then I checked the past papers to see the exam style and sort of questions. For OCR RS, it is 3 essays written in 2 hours (3papers) and for AQA psychology, if i remember correctly, there was a range of different marks (from 5 markers to 12 markers I think) - which I didn't like as it was similar format when I did it in GCSE. Cos I knew I do well in essays, ofc there was going to a lot of essay practice, but I knew I always did better in essays and understood RS better than psychology, so I picked RS.

I know that RS Alevel, there will be further reading and research, but again this will depend the number of resources your teachers provide as one of my teacher doesn't, I had to do the research myself, which I do enjoy.

At the end of day, if you picked a subject you don't like after taster sessions or the after studying if for the first 2 or 3 weeks with your school, they give you an option to change a different subject.

P.S. I don't know specifically about the amount of papers you do for psychology but go to their website (check which exam board your school chosen) to check the past papers.

Good luck
riannak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey,
so i don't know about RS for a-level but im currently doing AQA psychology, and just to clarify the info above, there are 3 papers (all 2 hours and 96 marks), and the questions range anywhere from 1 mark to 16 mark essay type questions (1-3 in each paper).

the compulsory topics to study are: Social influence, Memory, Attachment, Psychopathology, Approaches in Psychology, Biopsychology, Research methods and Issues and debates in Psychology.

there are also 9 optional topics which you do 3 of, but this depends on what your school decides so it would be worth asking teachers what topics you will do (they are: Relationships, Gender, Cognition and development, Schizophrenia, Eating behaviour, Stress, Aggression, Forensic Psychology, and Addiction)

in terms of further reading/research, you don't need to do any for AQA psychology as your only assessed on the content you are taught - this might be different for other exams boards but probably not (again ask teachers to make sure)

have a look on the exam board websites for the course specification and overview because they're all different. the AQA spec link is https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...82-SP-2015.PDF

basically first i think you should talk to your teachers about the courses and which exam board your school does, and then look at the specifications to see if you would be interested in doing what the course contains. it could be useful to have a quick look at past papers so you get an idea of the question types the exam papers have (im guessing rs also has essay based questions) depending on what style of question you're better at answering - bear in mind that psychology has statistics so there are a few maths questions, but not anything complex so don't let it put you off, just things like calculating means and plotting graphs etc.

i hope this helps
kasig195
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by riannak)
hey,
so i don't know about RS for a-level but im currently doing AQA psychology, and just to clarify the info above, there are 3 papers (all 2 hours and 96 marks), and the questions range anywhere from 1 mark to 16 mark essay type questions (1-3 in each paper).

the compulsory topics to study are: Social influence, Memory, Attachment, Psychopathology, Approaches in Psychology, Biopsychology, Research methods and Issues and debates in Psychology.

there are also 9 optional topics which you do 3 of, but this depends on what your school decides so it would be worth asking teachers what topics you will do (they are: Relationships, Gender, Cognition and development, Schizophrenia, Eating behaviour, Stress, Aggression, Forensic Psychology, and Addiction)

in terms of further reading/research, you don't need to do any for AQA psychology as your only assessed on the content you are taught - this might be different for other exams boards but probably not (again ask teachers to make sure)

have a look on the exam board websites for the course specification and overview because they're all different. the AQA spec link is https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...82-SP-2015.PDF

basically first i think you should talk to your teachers about the courses and which exam board your school does, and then look at the specifications to see if you would be interested in doing what the course contains. it could be useful to have a quick look at past papers so you get an idea of the question types the exam papers have (im guessing rs also has essay based questions) depending on what style of question you're better at answering - bear in mind that psychology has statistics so there are a few maths questions, but not anything complex so don't let it put you off, just things like calculating means and plotting graphs etc.

i hope this helps
Thank you very much, I will ask my teachers about each one of them
kasig195
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by riannak)
hey,

i hope this helps
(Original post by UKJ)
Hii,
I remember when I picked my A levels which was only a few months ago, I also struggled to pick between Psychology and RS. I judged what to pick based on how interested I was in the subject, whether I would be willing to do further reading or extra work. Then I checked the past papers to see the exam style and sort of questions. For OCR RS, it is 3 essays written in 2 hours (3papers) and for AQA psychology, if i remember correctly, there was a range of different marks (from 5 markers to 12 markers I think) - which I didn't like as it was similar format when I did it in GCSE. Cos I knew I do well in essays, ofc there was going to a lot of essay practice, but I knew I always did better in essays and understood RS better than psychology, so I picked RS.

I know that RS Alevel, there will be further reading and research, but again this will depend the number of resources your teachers provide as one of my teacher doesn't, I had to do the research myself, which I do enjoy.

At the end of day, if you picked a subject you don't like after taster sessions or the after studying if for the first 2 or 3 weeks with your school, they give you an option to change a different subject.

P.S. I don't know specifically about the amount of papers you do for psychology but go to their website (check which exam board your school chosen) to check the past papers.

Good luck
Thank you, this was very insightful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (216)
44.08%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.43%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.02%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (52)
10.61%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.51%

Watched Threads