The Student Room Group

[POSTGRADUATE] MSc Accounting/ Accounting & Finance applications

Hey guys, it's almost halfway through the application seasons. Mind to share any offers/decisions you have already received from any universities, and also a timeline until you got your decisions? Also any special experiences?
Hey! I got offers from: Strathclyde, Sussex and Lincoln and I was (sadly) rejected from: Bath and Sheffield. Strathclyde took about two weeks, Sussex 1 month, Lincoln 2 months, Bath took ages and Sheffield took about 1 month. Currently trying to decide between Strathclyde and Sussex but I'm leaning towards Strathclyde right now
Reply 2
Original post by saltedpecans
Hey! I got offers from: Strathclyde, Sussex and Lincoln and I was (sadly) rejected from: Bath and Sheffield. Strathclyde took about two weeks, Sussex 1 month, Lincoln 2 months, Bath took ages and Sheffield took about 1 month. Currently trying to decide between Strathclyde and Sussex but I'm leaning towards Strathclyde right now

thanks for sharing. I'd choose strathclyde too!
can you explain why it is become waste of time and money ? are the graduate student from MSc accounting have less opportunity to find a job ?
If you are doing an MsC go to enjoy uni life more then fair enough lol. If you want to genuinely become an accountant then I would advise securing an ICAEW ACA Training Agreement ideally with a Big 4 company as these look really good on a CV. These agreements are 3 years long where you work and study at the same time (20% time off work given to study) for the 15 ACA exams. Once you have done all these exams and become fully qualified you will be in a lot of demand with qualified accountant salaries starting at 45k plus bonus at a minimum in the north of England and 55k plus bonus as a bare minimum near the London area. Good luck whichever one you choose :smile:
Original post by yustivan
can you explain why it is become waste of time and money ? are the graduate student from MSc accounting have less opportunity to find a job ?

What are your previous qualifications including grades?

I doubt doing and msc in accounting helps employability in most cases. It costs a lot and isn’t necessarily a fun year.

More significantly it may hinder employability. Making unusual decisions as an adult can be off putting to employers.
i took an engineering on my bachelor degree. And i feel like iam in the wrong major, then i want to take cross major on my graduated degree.I like about accounting and MSc in Sheffield Uni could be my next grades. Or better i take an Master of Accounting (MAcc) ? Any advice ?
i took an engineering on my bachelor degree. And i feel like iam in the wrong major, then i want to take cross major on my graduated degree.I like about accounting and MSc in Sheffield Uni could be my next grades. Or better i take an Master of Accounting (MAcc) ? Any advice ?

MAcc is an American qualification. Do you have the right to work in the U.K.?
Original post by ajj2000
MAcc is an American qualification. Do you have the right to work in the U.K.?

Actually iam in south east asia, and want to take my study in the U.K next year. So, am i still be able to take my study in the U.K ? Or MAcc is only in America ? Sorry for my bad english
Actually iam in south east asia, and want to take my study in the U.K next year. So, am i still be able to take my study in the U.K ? Or MAcc is only in America ? Sorry for my bad english

Yes - so long as you are in a country where the type of accounting is recognised which would be the case in Malaysia, Singapore etc a U.K. qualification will be fine. Still - always best check locally. MAcc is a US qualification (maybe Canada also) which tends to be around two years for non accounting grads and covers all the material for their professional qualification the CPA. U.K. masters degrees tend to be one year and more introductory.
Thanks for the advice, i wish i could continue my study in the U.K

Quick Reply

Latest