doodle1707
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, so i’m currently in year 12 and have exams coming up in 4weeks. I’m really not motivated or enjoying sixth form right now and not sure what to do, i’m really debating just dropping my A-Levels (Geography, Business and Psychology) and go do an engineering course at college or get ah apprenticeship as i don’t really want to go to university or if i did i’d rather it be a degree apprenticeship.

However, i really don’t want to regret this and end up not having maybe choices or paths in life. Help would be really appreciated in what i could do as i also don’t think i’ll even get good grades
2003a39
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Physics at AS/A-Level is very challenging/difficult, and Uni courses in Engineering see Physics and Maths as the most important subjects. If Psychology is hard, I doubt that you'll find Physics easier (I currently do both, and the latter is a lot harder). A college course in Engineering is something I'd advise against, unless you found Physics easy at GCSE. Apprenticeships might be a good option but I'm not familiar with them and the experience so I'll leave that to other users.
doodle1707
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2003a39)
Physics at AS/A-Level is very challenging/difficult, and Uni courses in Engineering see Physics and Maths as the most important subjects. If Psychology is hard, I doubt that you'll find Physics easier (I currently do both, and the latter is a lot harder). A college course in Engineering is something I'd advise against, unless you found Physics easy at GCSE. Apprenticeships might be a good option but I'm not familiar with them and the experience so I'll leave that to other users.
At GCSE i got a 6/7 in sciences and was decent at it, i have friends who were in foundation sciences or had failed maths + english who seem to be doing fine with engineering at College although that may be level 2 as i want to do level 3
2003a39
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by doodle1707)
At GCSE i got a 6/7 in sciences and was decent at it, i have friends who were in foundation sciences or had failed maths + english who seem to be doing fine with engineering at College although that may be level 2 as i want to do level 3
I got the same grade but Physics was my weakness. A Level 3 course might be good, I'm not knowledgeable on this though.
SchrödingerzCat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah to do well in a-level you really have to work hard and try hard and i know that's super difficult when you're unmotivated. i don't know about engineering specifically but i do physics alevel and it is definitely difficult. i got mostly grade 9s at gcse and now average a grade D. however, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it!! if you think you'll enjoy it and really work hard at it i would say go for it. about college or an apprentiship though i guess it depends on what you want to do after that. i'd recommend going to the college open day or something =)
doodle1707
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2003a39)
I got the same grade but Physics was my weakness. A Level 3 course might be good, I'm not knowledgeable on this though.
Alright thank you! i just don’t want to go through A-Levels and end up with a bad grade that i can’t use for anything
doodle1707
Rep:
?
(Original post by SchrödingerzCat)
yeah to do well in a-level you really have to work hard and try hard and i know that's super difficult when you're unmotivated. i don't know about engineering specifically but i do physics alevel and it is definitely difficult. i got mostly grade 9s at gcse and now average a grade D. however, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it!! if you think you'll enjoy it and really work hard at it i would say go for it. about college or an apprentiship though i guess it depends on what you want to do after that. i'd recommend going to the college open day or something =)
Thank you, i’ll make sure to look at the open days. And i think i’m just unmotivated after the 2week break maybe it’ll come back to me
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It has been a weird year, lots of people are not motivated. On line learning is not great and you have missed out on the social life which should make sixth form fun.

If you are thinking about engineering, you are really doing the wrong A levels, so it is sensible to think about it now when all you would have wasted is this covid year. Sounds like a great idea to log thorough since college websites and see if there are any courses which appeal to you. You could also consider re-starting Y12 with Maths - I don't think you will be able to do an engineering degree of any sort without more maths

Can you talk to a tutor or careers advisor at school?
doodle1707
Rep:
?
(Original post by TCL)
It has been a weird year, lots of people are not motivated. On line learning is not great and you have missed out on the social life which should make sixth form fun.

If you are thinking about engineering, you are really doing the wrong A levels, so it is sensible to think about it now when all you would have wasted is this covid year. Sounds like a great idea to log thorough since college websites and see if there are any courses which appeal to you. You could also consider re-starting Y12 with Maths - I don't think you will be able to do an engineering degree of any sort without more maths

Can you talk to a tutor or careers advisor at school?
There is a career advisor that i should probably go talk to about it. It’s a 50/50 right now as i’m not sure if to go to uni and do Geography or go into engineering at college then do apprenticeship, i was also considering doing an apprenticeship after sixth form however it not sure if there is even geography related apprenticeships.

I just don’t want to go through sixth form and end up with bad results if it’s not for me and i feel now is my last chance to make this big decision since it’s almost the end of year 12
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by doodle1707)
There is a career advisor that i should probably go talk to about it. It’s a 50/50 right now as i’m not sure if to go to uni and do Geography or go into engineering at college then do apprenticeship, i was also considering doing an apprenticeship after sixth form however it not sure if there is even geography related apprenticeships.

I just don’t want to go through sixth form and end up with bad results if it’s not for me and i feel now is my last chance to make this big decision since it’s almost the end of year 12
Do you know that everyone is entitled to 3 years of 6th form education?
doodle1707
Rep:
?
(Original post by TCL)
Do you know that everyone is entitled to 3 years of 6th form education?
yes but i don’t really want to resit a year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (216)
75%
No (72)
25%

Watched Threads