JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
How do you cope with being associated with a stigma?
LeafMeAlonee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I've sort of gotten used to the stigma attached to being a muslim hijabi girl, since i know there is one, But it doesn't affect me personally in the sense that it doesn't stop me doing what i want to, or can, do.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
How do you cope with being associated with a stigma?
I have a stigmatized MH diagnosis and the way I deal with it is simply to hide it from everyone.
JDINCINERATOR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
I have a stigmatized MH diagnosis and the way I deal with it is simply to hide it from everyone.
That's not a very healthy way to contend with the issue but then again the stigmas I have are ones that I feel are best kept hidden away from the judgmental public.
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ignoring it is the best way for me. Fighting against it is pointless.

Stigma for mental conditions btw!!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
That's not a very healthy way to contend with the issue but then again the stigmas I have are ones that I feel are best kept hidden away from the judgmental public.
I can't change the world and being open with what I have going on mentally would lead to a great deal of ostracism, embarrassment, and being viewed in a very judgemental light by so many people.
JDINCINERATOR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
I can't change the world and being open with what I have going on mentally would lead to a great deal of ostracism, embarrassment, and being viewed in a very judgemental light by so many people.
I understand because I feel the same way you do-if people knew about my stigmas then they'd act with hostility towards me.
Joleee
Report 4 months ago
i'm like Sabertooth where i just don't talk about it (mh). it's not because i'm embarrassed tho; it's because i know others will not truly understand and there's nothing worse than not being truly understood because you feel like you're alone, or you're not being listened to or believed like you're making it up. but the other issue is how do you bring it up in conversation without depressing the conversation? :dontknow:

another stigma i must deal with is being the victim of domestic abuse/violence. to keep it short, i was in a long-term relationship with someone who was very sick in the head (i mean that literally) who led a double-life and used me to cover up their abuse with other people/sex addiction. the stigma that 'i should have known' or i must be a stupid person or a weak person, or i must have low standards (i don't, i have extremely high standards :yep:) is why i keep quiet. like, almost no one knows even mildly about my past except my therapists, my family and TSR i guess

(ps not advocating this lifestyle of silence, just sayin.)
Last edited by Joleee; 4 months ago
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
stigma for mental health.. stigma for mental health...
idk man just pretend like mental health isn't real and rock on :rock:
turn up the bass and that
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I accept that it exists and try not to dwell on the things that people may stigmatise me for as I can't change them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (300)
84.27%
No (56)
15.73%

Watched Threads