The Student Room Group

psychology work experience - year 12

Hi! I'm in year 12 and am applying for uni psychology courses later this year, but I don't know what kind of volunteering/work experience to do for personal statements and interviews, especially because of the current covid restrictions.

if you have any ideas, or are currently doing something please let me know, thanks!! :smile:
Original post by riannak
Hi! I'm in year 12 and am applying for uni psychology courses later this year, but I don't know what kind of volunteering/work experience to do for personal statements and interviews, especially because of the current covid restrictions.

if you have any ideas, or are currently doing something please let me know, thanks!! :smile:

I know being a Mental Healthcare Assistant would be fantastic experience if you were interested in clinical psychology - but you may need to be 18 years old before you can apply for those positions.

Similarly, any volunteering work you can do relating to clinical psychology would be fantastic, but be careful not to accidentally apply or be dragged into a healthcare role that is unrelated to mental health.

As far as I am aware, a lot of my friends who applied for psychology did not have particular work experience, and instead focussed on their academics and reasons for applying.

I hope this helps.
Original post by riannak

Hi @riannak,

I just thought I'd jump in and see if I could help! With the current circumstances, everyone is in the same boat and I'm sure that universities will be very understanding if you aren't able to do work experience this year. At York, we encourage applicants to do one of our free online courses (for you I'd suggest An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology as an Experimental Science). Completing this course will give you a better insight into Psychology and will also show us that you have initiative and you're passionate about the subject. It will look good on your personal statement and will be something you could discuss in an interview.

I'd also recommend checking out our tips for writing a personal statement page and our dedicated Year 12 Psychology page. Here you can book a place on our virtual open days and explore our courses. Our student blogs, written by current students, are also really useful and can give you an insight into studying Psychology.

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Graduate Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest