Mat-is-me
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Does anyone know how I could do an A-level myself? Do I have to enrol on a course online or can I just do the course myself and then book the exam myself too?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can learn the content by teaching yourself from textbooks/online resources, or get a tutor, or sign up for a distance learning course - or a combination of all of those. It's whatever works for you, although if you study a subject with non-examination assessment (NEA) - coursework - you'd need to find a way of getting that supervised , verified and marked.

Whichever route you pick, you'd need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) prepared to accept you as a private candidate. You pay them and they arrange the rest.

What subject(s) are you hoping to study?
Mat-is-me
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
You can learn the content by teaching yourself from textbooks/online resources, or get a tutor, or sign up for a distance learning course - or a combination of all of those. It's whatever works for you, although if you study a subject with non-examination assessment (NEA) - coursework - you'd need to find a way of getting that supervised , verified and marked.

Whichever route you pick, you'd need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) prepared to accept you as a private candidate. You pay them and they arrange the rest.

What subject(s) are you hoping to study?
Thanks for the reply! Well I’ve made a bit of a mess with my A-levels so far, I’m doing 3 in school but at the start of the year I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do and the options available in school didn’t allow me to do English Language, so I’m doing that online with Oxbridge home learning. But after studying it for a while I’ve realised that I’m just not enjoying it which isn’t great because it cost a lot of money 😕. I’ve realised that I want to do something more science based so I’m thinking of doing Chemistry at home but I think it might be really hard especially since I don’t want to spend any more money on an online course.
I’m not sure, it’s beginning to feel more certain that I do want to do Chemistry but am scared that I’ll find it too difficult especially since it’s already quite late in the year.....
My school is in Wales so our exam board is WJEC which is even more difficult because I don’t think there are any courses available online. I’m scared that if I book the exam in 2022 and ser myself the challenge of teaching it to myself through the textbooks I’ll just fail and feel really stupid. I’m generally quite a hard worker but it just seems a bit impossible at the moment..:
Thanks for the help though!
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mat-is-me)
Thanks for the reply! Well I’ve made a bit of a mess with my A-levels so far, I’m doing 3 in school but at the start of the year I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do and the options available in school didn’t allow me to do English Language, so I’m doing that online with Oxbridge home learning. But after studying it for a while I’ve realised that I’m just not enjoying it which isn’t great because it cost a lot of money 😕. I’ve realised that I want to do something more science based so I’m thinking of doing Chemistry at home but I think it might be really hard especially since I don’t want to spend any more money on an online course.
I’m not sure, it’s beginning to feel more certain that I do want to do Chemistry but am scared that I’ll find it too difficult especially since it’s already quite late in the year.....
My school is in Wales so our exam board is WJEC which is even more difficult because I don’t think there are any courses available online. I’m scared that if I book the exam in 2022 and ser myself the challenge of teaching it to myself through the textbooks I’ll just fail and feel really stupid. I’m generally quite a hard worker but it just seems a bit impossible at the moment..:
Thanks for the help though!
You don't have to stick with WJEC, though it might make sorting the practical element easier - I don't know how rthey do it but it's an issue for private candidates using English exam boards
Mat-is-me
Rep:
?
You don't have to stick with WJEC, though it might make sorting the practical element easier - I don't know how rthey do it but it's an issue for private candidates using English exam boards
Yeah I can imagine... so do you think it’s possible to do it at home?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mat-is-me)
Yeah I can imagine... so do you think it’s possible to do it at home?
You can't for the English exam boards because it has to be monitored and assessed - schools are insepcted annually on their overisght and recording of the practicals. don't know enough about what WJEC does.
Mat-is-me
Rep:
?
You can't for the English exam boards because it has to be monitored and assessed - schools are insepcted annually on their overisght and recording of the practicals. don't know enough about what WJEC does.
Okay thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (31)
11.36%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (153)
56.04%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (41)
15.02%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (42)
15.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
2.2%

Watched Threads