Online MSc Computer Science (Data Analytics) Northumbria University

Watch this thread
Melody01
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have seen the threads for the online MSc Computer Science courses at University of York and University of Bath, but I've not been able to find one on the Northumbria University online MSc Computer Science course.
Is anyone currently on this programme, or have some insights into how it compares with the other online MSc courses in Computer Science or Information Technology?
Anastasiia_007
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I am also considering MSc Computer Science at Northumbria University, but I cannot find the reviews for the program. The overall reviews for the uni look good, but I wonder whether their online MSCS program is good.
sld77
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Did either of you end up taking MSc computer science at Northumbria? What was your experience? I’m interested too. Thanks.
Anonymous263
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sld77)
Did either of you end up taking MSc computer science at Northumbria? What was your experience? I’m interested too. Thanks.
Hi, did you end up applying to Northumbria? I'm currently choosing between Northumbria, York and Keele. I've seen te negative reviews for york so wondering about people's experiences in the other two.
sld77
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I considered Keele but went with Northumbria. It's about £1000 cheaper and has 3 or 4 start dates. I'll be starting on April 22nd. Northumbria is also 15 places higher on the Complete University Guide 2022 for Computer Science (for what it's worth). At the end of the day choose one and work hard. Having already done a master's I know to not expect to have my hand held. Plus I often hear (from pros) that learning to code and keeping up with tech is a self-motivated process. So if you go in wanting to do well, and you work hard, you'll be great. You'll end up getting more out of it than someone with a less inspiring attitude who went to a higher rated uni.

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...mputer-science
Last edited by sld77; 3 months ago
Anonymous263
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sld77)
I considered Keele but went with Northumbria. It's about £1000 cheaper and has 3 or 4 start dates. I'll be starting on April 22nd. Northumbria is also 15 places higher on the Complete University Guide 2022 for Computer Science (for what it's worth). At the end of the day choose one and work hard. Having already done a master's I know to not expect to have my hand held. Plus I often hear (from pros) that learning to code and keeping up with tech is a self-motivated process. So if you go in wanting to do well, and you work hard, you'll be great. You'll end up getting more out of it than someone with a less inspiring attitude who went to a higher rated uni.

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...mputer-science
I've also got an unconditional offer from Northumbria to start in April. It's £8400 and I chose the MSc in computer science with Data Analytics. I agree with you that it's mostly what you put into a master's that matters and I've heard a few positive comments regarding conversion courses in general. Northumbria didn't send me any further information about the modules, I only found a brief breakdown on the course page. Did they send you any further information?
sld77
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous263)
I've also got an unconditional offer from Northumbria to start in April. It's £8400 and I chose the MSc in computer science with Data Analytics. I agree with you that it's mostly what you put into a master's that matters and I've heard a few positive comments regarding conversion courses in general. Northumbria didn't send me any further information about the modules, I only found a brief breakdown on the course page. Did they send you any further information?
Cool! We'll be doing a few of the same modules then. Yes, they did send me extra info. I think this was because I initially pestered them regarding info and open days. There were no open days so they sent me brochures and said I could email the head of the department with any questions relating to the course. I've attached one of the brochures below. Email David (Enrolementment Advisor) - [email protected]. He'll send them over to you.
Attached files
tezozheng2
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous263)
Hi, Have you start the course yet? I am just wondering what's the time length of video lectures every week on average?
Thanks
sld77
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I start in two weeks. 😊
cl118
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi all, is there any further feedback for Northumbria? Struggling between york
sld77
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by cl118)
Hi all, is there any further feedback for Northumbria? Struggling between york
I'm one week into Northumbria. My first impressions are the material is well put together and I feel supported as they keep in contact by phone during each module.
Last edited by sld77; 2 months ago
cl118
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sld77)
I'm one week into Northumbria. My first impressions are the material is well put together and I feel supported as they keep in contact by phone during each module.
Good to hear that. Is there video lectures? Or rely on self reading?
Albert5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I would like an update too.
Are you sure it isn't just a course where they give you a book or they tell you to do your own research?
Is it better than the York university MSc CS with data science online?
Last edited by Albert5; 1 month ago
sld77
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cl118)
Good to hear that. Is there video lectures? Or rely on self reading?
No lectures unfortunately. Interactive reading. Chapter reading. Weekly homework with short demo video.
cl118
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sld77)
No lectures unfortunately. Interactive reading. Chapter reading. Weekly homework with short demo video.
Thanks for the info. I have accepted Northumbria over York, starting in July. Hope this is a not a bad choice
Albert5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks.
Are you learning practical work skills? Is the reading by books only or are there web based texts or notes?
What module are you studying?
Last edited by Albert5; 4 weeks ago
sld77
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
We’re on the first module - Data Modelling and Analytics. Module titles can be found on the website brochure. We work from two text books and each week has an interactive reading designed by the university. We also have three live sessions per module.
htsam17
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm thinking about joining this course this October wanting a career change from teaching. Is this a good course for a newbie? Thanks!
sld77
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by htsam17)
I'm thinking about joining this course this October wanting a career change from teaching. Is this a good course for a newbie? Thanks!
Yes, it’s advertised as suitable for someone without computer science background. I’m a newbie and about half the class is too.
Last edited by sld77; 4 weeks ago
CompSciCurious
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
As this course is ran part-time over two years, I have to ask what that means for the modules. Is each module ran ten weeks at a time? Or do some modules start when others are already running?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (28)
20.29%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (66)
47.83%
First aid skills (12)
8.7%
Personal safety skills (4)
2.9%
Sign language (15)
10.87%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (10)
7.25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.17%

Watched Threads