Muslims saying “only Allah can judge me”

Watch
username5378916
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It irks me greatly when people say only god can judge them when they’re given advice on something. There’s one thing where a person is being judgemental and criticising someone but a whole different thing when they’re trying to stop them from doing haram things. They say “mind your own business” and “check yourself” but as a fellow Muslim it’s literally our duty to help our brothers and sisters. If we don’t let them know and help them, it’ll be too late. When Allah does judge us, it can’t be taken back so we need to fix up before then yk? But people don’t get that. (When I say people I mean the people of our ummah).

It reminds me of the story of Nuh (as) where he spread the message but the people put fingers to their ears and ignored him.

{I just wanna say that people who mock and constantly belittle others as a way of “advising” them, is completely wrong. That’s not the correct etiquette and it would just demotivate them and weaken their imaan. So before saying anything, think about what you’re saying and whether it is beneficial.}
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anon12345678987)
It irks me greatly when people say only god can judge them when they’re given advice on something. There’s one thing where a person is being judgemental and criticising someone but a whole different thing when they’re trying to stop them from doing haram things. They say “mind your own business” and “check yourself” but as a fellow Muslim it’s literally our duty to help our brothers and sisters.
Unsolicited advice is annoying and you should learn to mind your own business (I'm not trying to be rude btw just getting to the point.)

And no, you have no duty to forcefully help other Muslims. That is not a commandment in Islam.
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Correcting others or commenting on their so-called sins comes across as preachy and self-righteous and no one likes that.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mate, you're not the chief of the Haram police.
susususus
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
Unsolicited advice is annoying and you should learn to mind your own business (I'm not trying to be rude btw just getting to the point.)

And no, you have no duty to forcefully help other Muslims. That is not a commandment in Islam.
i dont think they meant forcefully

and yes it is our duty to help other muslims if we see them doing wrong.

but what i mean when i say help isn't bash them and shame them and make fun of them, that's not islamic and wont help anyone.

if we see someone doing wrong we pull them aside so you can have a one on one talk with them and respectfully you tell them " brother/sister i noticed that u were doing "so" and "so". you shouldn't be calling them out in front of everyone because or forcing them to do anything that's just gonna make them stray away from muslims and the deen

or if you want you can pray for them
Last edited by susususus; 1 month ago
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by susususus)
i dont think they meant forcefully

and yet it is our duty to help other muslims if we see them doing wrong.

but what i mean when i say help isn't bash them and shame them and make fun of them, that's not islamic and wont help anyone.

if we see someone doing wrong we pull them aside so you can have a one on one talk with them and respectfully you tell them " brother/sister i noticed that u were doing "so" and "so". you shouldn't be calling them out in front of everyone because or forcing them to do anything that's just gonna make them stray away from muslims and the .

or if you want you can pray for them
Personally, I wouldn't be offended if you approached me in that way on a one off occasion.

It's not your religious duty to do that though.

You will be judged on only your own sins and not mine - that is what people mean when they use phrases that OP described such as "look at yourself."
Last edited by Gaddafi; 1 month ago
username5378916
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gaddafi)

I believe you have misunderstood my post. I did not say we should forcefully help others. Say for instance a close friend wants to commit zina, I would tell them that that’s haraam and they shouldn’t do it because of the consequences. Some may not even know what the actual consequence is and would later regret it. If it was a non Muslim then you do you but seeing a Muslim commit a sin, which would affect them greatly, and not do something about it isnt right. If a person committed zina and someone constantly says “you’re a kafir”, “you’re not a Muslim” etc, that’s not right, that’s judging. But if you advise them (privately, might I add) to seek for forgiveness and tell them what is beneficial for them, then that should be accepted. I completely disagree with the fact that people constantly berate others. I hope you get what I’m trying to say lol.

Just a couple of things I’ve read on it:
[an-Nahl 16:125]
Jaami‘ al-‘Uloom wa’l-Hikam (1/236)
Tafseer as-Sa‘di (p. 452)
[al-Maa’idah 5:78, 79]
Saheeh Muslim (4831)
muslim female
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you care though? Even if they are doing haram, on the day of judgement, you won't be accountable for them. Also not all muslims are practicing or religious, many don't follow islamic rules or fast ramadan etc.
zz2002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It irks me greatly when people say only god can judge them when they’re given advice on something. There’s one thing where a person is being judgemental and criticising someone but a whole different thing when they’re trying to stop them from doing haram things. They say “mind your own business” and “check yourself” but as a fellow Muslim it’s literally our duty to help our brothers and sisters. If we don’t let them know and help them, it’ll be too late. When Allah does judge us, it can’t be taken back so we need to fix up before then yk? But people don’t get that. (When I say people I mean the people of our ummah).

It reminds me of the story of Nuh (as) where he spread the message but the people put fingers to their ears and ignored him.

{I just wanna say that people who mock and constantly belittle others as a way of “advising” them, is completely wrong. That’s not the correct etiquette and it would just demotivate them and weaken their imaan. So before saying anything, think about what you’re saying and whether it is beneficial.}
Many say that because it’s a hard pill for them to swallow that something they’re doing is a sin. And yeah a lot of people taking advising as judging. But then those who judge passing harsh comments think they’re helping the person, but they’re doing nothing other than pushing them further away from Islam.

In the Qur’an it says “Indeed reminders benefit the believer”, but it should most definitely be done to a certain extent that they aren’t feeling pressurised by you if you get what I mean and also advise privately. Like you see on Tiktok when people duet others videos talking about how they’re sinning. The person duetting even though they want to tell the person they’re sinning & advise them, they are sinning themselves too since they’re exposing the sins of another Muslim. Idk if that made sense lol. If you see a fellow Muslim sinning & someone hasn’t already advised them, it is your duty to advise them. Now if they do or don’t take that advice is up to them. All that we can do after that is make Dua to Allah (SWT) that he guides them to the straight path & forgives them
username5378916
Rep:
?
(Original post by muslim female)
Why do you care though? Even if they are doing haram, on the day of judgement, you won't be accountable for them. Also not all muslims are practicing or religious, many don't follow islamic rules or fast ramadan etc.
With all due respect, I’d much rather have friends who try to help me and prevent me from doing haram instead of letting me commit sins. My end goal is to see my friends and family in jannah so I’d look out for my brothers and sisters. The prophet (saw) said “None of you [truly] believes until he loves for his brother that which he loves for himself. [Al-Bukhari] [Muslim]”.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say in the last part of your reply.
muslim female
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With all due respect, I’d much rather have friends who try to help me and prevent me from doing haram instead of letting me commit sins. My end goal is to see my friends and family in jannah so I’d look out for my brothers and sisters. The prophet (saw) said “None of you [truly] believes until he loves for his brother that which he loves for himself. [Al-Bukhari] [Muslim]”.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say in the last part of your reply.
Most muslims I meet are not that religious, drink alcohol, go parties and don't pray or fast. I don't know where you are living but the religious muslims seem to be a minority, at least in the UK. Even back home, alcohol and relationships are normal. Idk but if you think all muslims are perfect and care about the deen then you are deluded. Your advice won't make a difference if they don't want to follow certian rules they won't. You need to ignore what they do. Only Allah can judge them
username5378916
Rep:
?
(Original post by muslim female)
Most muslims I meet are not that religious, drink alcohol, go parties and don't pray or fast. I don't know where you are living but the religious muslims seem to be a minority, at least in the UK. Even back home, alcohol and relationships are normal. Idk but if you think all muslims are perfect and care about the deen then you are deluded. Your advice won't make a difference if they don't want to follow certian rules they won't. You need to ignore what they do. Only Allah can judge them
I’m also from the UK. I didn’t state that all Muslims are perfect at all. Idk where you got that from.
You never know if it will make a difference or not. If that one interaction is the reason why a person is bettering themselves, that may even be the one reward thats needed to allow me to enter jannah. I guess you can continue to ignore them but (obviously within my limits) im going to continue to look out for my brothers and sisters.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
According to most monotheistic religious teachings revolving around an omniscient & omnipotent supreme being, the final judgement on faith and salvation is made by God.

Alas I've known so many people of all different religions who have the same attitude and tactics as you do.
The fire&brimstone interpretation of their chosen religion, assumption that their interpretation of religion is automatically always right & the 'one true religion' and noisy habit of unsolicited preaching to those whose alternative lifestyles are interpreted as sinful or something worse.

My maternal grandmother has been a toxic religious fanatic with an almost unlimited supply of related noise nuisance for more than sixty years.
To the point that she has managed to convince herself that she alone is always right and almost everyone else in the world will be burning in hell while she's looking down on them in heaven.
I hope that you don't choose to waste your life in a similar way.
username5378916
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
According to most monotheistic religious teachings revolving around an omniscient & omnipotent supreme being, the final judgement on faith and salvation is made by God.

Alas I've known so many people of all different religions who have the same attitude and tactics as you do.
The fire&brimstone interpretation of their chosen religion, assumption that their interpretation of religion is automatically always right & the 'one true religion' and noisy habit of unsolicited preaching to those whose alternative lifestyles are interpreted as sinful or something worse.

My maternal grandmother has been a toxic religious fanatic with an almost unlimited supply of related noise nuisance for more than sixty years.
To the point that she has managed to convince herself that she alone is always right and almost everyone else in the world will be burning in hell while she's looking down on them in heaven.
I hope that you don't choose to waste your life in a similar way.
you misunderstood what I said, but I understand what you’re saying. Although it is not what I mean, and not what i’m doing, people who are constantly degrading others end up driving them away from their religion. I wouldn’t try to embarrass someone for what they’re doing (it’s also said to conceal the sins of others and not to expose them) and advise them in private. If they don’t wish to act upon it then fair enough.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They say “mind your own business” and “check yourself” but as a fellow Muslim it’s literally our duty to help our brothers and sisters
Says whom? What if you are wrong about what you are claiming and are actually just spreading misinformation? Why do you know better than someone else with mutual religious beliefs?
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What if they want to do "haram" things? It's not your business to poke your nose into their activities and preach about "good values"
username5378916
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedGiant)
Says whom? What if you are wrong about what you are claiming and are actually just spreading misinformation? Why do you know better than someone else with mutual religious beliefs?
There are some people who may not know and many not understand the consequence of their actions. If nobody tells them then they may never know. I also do not speak on topics I have no knowledge on or if I don’t have sources to back me. I also don’t just go around and dish out advice lol.
I have close friends who don’t have relatives who are religious so they don’t always know whether something is halal or haram, and as someone who has been given the opportunity to go to an Islamic school, I am able to aid them when they are doing something incorrectly.
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are some people who may not know and many not understand the consequence of their actions. If nobody tells them then they may never know. I also do not speak on topics I have no knowledge on or if I don’t have sources to back me. I also don’t just go around and dish out advice lol.
I have close friends who don’t have relatives who are religious so they don’t always know whether something is halal or haram, and as someone who has been given the opportunity to go to an Islamic school, I am able to aid them when they are doing something incorrectly.
What do you mean "incorrectly"? It's not your "duty" to tell someone else how to live their life pursuant to a religion, even if you think that something they do is against the religion that they purport to believe in.
A.studious
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel like this whole thread is so misunderstanding. This dude just wants to help out his friend through giving advice and that’s what friends are for right? And if he thinks that will benefit them then why keep it to oneself? It’s almost like seeing your friend cheating on their spouse and not advising them against it. In Islam we have morals. Like the original person who posted this said he doesn’t preach like a mad man, but helps out his close friends!!!!
dentt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5378916)

I completely agree with you. and why is this thread so pressed for lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (95)
27.22%
England (114)
32.66%
Belgium (28)
8.02%
Germany (40)
11.46%
Spain (8)
2.29%