kzadboy7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, so basically I’m going to give you a run down of what I’ve been doing regarding A levels the past few years as I just want to get some other people’s thoughts and have some questions answered.

So basically I started my sixth form in 2018; I attended a completely new school, so had to adjust to new people & teachers, & the 3 subjects I chose were Maths, Eng Lit & Chemistry. I’d be lying if I said it started off as well as I wanted it to in regards to work ethic in itself but about 2 months in, just when I thought I was beginning to get a grip of what A levels entailed a load of personal life problems started to crop up; my best friend from my old secondary school was killed in a car accident, not long after this my mother had a stroke and my siblings throughout the year just kept on having more and more issues. A lot of these really shook me up, for the entirety of year 12 I just sort of drifted; I felt like I had nobody to talk to & I would honestly just try to get through my lessons, which I didn't enjoy (esp Maths & Chemistry) as opposed to trying to learn. I finished the year with awful grades and I just kept putting on weight. When summer came around I felt a little more focused & decided to try and make a change to try and stop the repeat of year 12 happening in year 13, and decided I’d return in the summer and speak to my school to drop chemistry (my most hated subject, however Maths wasn’t far behind). My school spoke to me & said it should be fine; they said that I could continue in Maths & English in year 13 and complete the exams in the summer as planned, and that I would be able to take history in year 12 and then take a year sort of year 14 where I spend the year only doing history. This was great and honestly year 13, although not perfect, went much better for me; I put more work in and really tried to save my grades (which was a really difficult challenge in itself), but then of course the corona virus pandemic came to fruition and halted the entire country.

This proved to throw a huge spanner in the works. I had managed to increase my grades by perhaps one in English, but I was really banking on the fact I would sit the exams in the summer in an attempt to save myself (esp in Maths), however this obviously didn’t happen. I knew I would fail maths as things stand so I just hoped I would get at least a B in English as I could work with that for uni. When results day came around, I would be lying if I said I didn’t know I had already screwed up, but I ended up getting a B in English Lit, a B in EPQ & a D in Maths. The two B’s I was happy with but I knew I’d have to retake maths in order to get into any uni, let alone the good ones.

Eventually “year 14” came round (this year) and my focus shifted entirely to history. Now this is where I feel like I made a mistake. I tried to be strategic and clever regarding Maths and I think it may have come back to bite me. Essentially, I went into the year thinking I’d use the lessons at school and learn History with the support of my 6th form, then use a service called uplearn and learn the entirety of the Maths course through that & then sit all of the exams (History & Maths) at the end of the year, however around October time, I had decided I wouldn’t be applying for university next year (to attend in summer 2021), & instead planned on going the year after (for the 2022 summer) when I'm 20 and thought it might be best if I focused entirely on history this year, then do the entirety of the maths course next year as I knew I wouldn’t be going & then when I did go to apply through UCAS, I would also have two actually A levels & a EPQ to apply with and probably a predicted grade around an A in Maths (as uplearn guarantee and A or A* or your money back).

This is where it gets a little harder to explain really; as the year went on I decided that in order to do maths, I'd need to relearn everything anyway, and realised that it wasn't a required subject for any of the uni courses I intend on applying to, so I decided instead of putting myself through the pain of a level maths again, that I would probably be better off learning an entirely different subject all together and decided on learning psychology instead; uplearn offer a course on it & its also a subject I've always been interested in.

It is now April of 2021 and I will be finishing up with history in the next 2 months or so and I am most likely to get either an A or B in it, which means I will definitely need an A in psychology to get into my uni choices. This essentially means I will be taking an A level from scratch & taking the entire 2-year AQA A level psychology course independently, within one year. I currently have the issue of how I would get a predicted grade, like can anyone referee me? If I find a random tutor, could I get them to be me referee? Where would I actually sit the final exam? Is it possible to get predicted grades if I sit the entirety of an A level in one year? etc,

This may all sound like drivel to some people & many of you may not care, but I would love to hear peoples thoughts as well as hopefully getting some questions answered and insight into things.

Sorry for the long barrage of information, but I wanted to get it off my chest and I will be very grateful for any help.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kzadboy7)
Hi, so basically I’m going to give you a run down of what I’ve been doing regarding A levels the past few years as I just want to get some other people’s thoughts and have some questions answered.

So basically I started my sixth form in 2018; I attended a completely new school, so had to adjust to new people & teachers, & the 3 subjects I chose were Maths, Eng Lit & Chemistry. I’d be lying if I said it started off as well as I wanted it to in regards to work ethic in itself but about 2 months in, just when I thought I was beginning to get a grip of what A levels entailed a load of personal life problems started to crop up; my best friend from my old secondary school was killed in a car accident, not long after this my mother had a stroke and my siblings throughout the year just kept on having more and more issues. A lot of these really shook me up, for the entirety of year 12 I just sort of drifted; I felt like I had nobody to talk to & I would honestly just try to get through my lessons, which I didn't enjoy (esp Maths & Chemistry) as opposed to trying to learn. I finished the year with awful grades and I just kept putting on weight. When summer came around I felt a little more focused & decided to try and make a change to try and stop the repeat of year 12 happening in year 13, and decided I’d return in the summer and speak to my school to drop chemistry (my most hated subject, however Maths wasn’t far behind). My school spoke to me & said it should be fine; they said that I could continue in Maths & English in year 13 and complete the exams in the summer as planned, and that I would be able to take history in year 12 and then take a year sort of year 14 where I spend the year only doing history. This was great and honestly year 13, although not perfect, went much better for me; I put more work in and really tried to save my grades (which was a really difficult challenge in itself), but then of course the corona virus pandemic came to fruition and halted the entire country.

This proved to throw a huge spanner in the works. I had managed to increase my grades by perhaps one in English, but I was really banking on the fact I would sit the exams in the summer in an attempt to save myself (esp in Maths), however this obviously didn’t happen. I knew I would fail maths as things stand so I just hoped I would get at least a B in English as I could work with that for uni. When results day came around, I would be lying if I said I didn’t know I had already screwed up, but I ended up getting a B in English Lit, a B in EPQ & a D in Maths. The two B’s I was happy with but I knew I’d have to retake maths in order to get into any uni, let alone the good ones.

Eventually “year 14” came round (this year) and my focus shifted entirely to history. Now this is where I feel like I made a mistake. I tried to be strategic and clever regarding Maths and I think it may have come back to bite me. Essentially, I went into the year thinking I’d use the lessons at school and learn History with the support of my 6th form, then use a service called uplearn and learn the entirety of the Maths course through that & then sit all of the exams (History & Maths) at the end of the year, however around October time, I had decided I wouldn’t be applying for university next year (to attend in summer 2021), & instead planned on going the year after (for the 2022 summer) when I'm 20 and thought it might be best if I focused entirely on history this year, then do the entirety of the maths course next year as I knew I wouldn’t be going & then when I did go to apply through UCAS, I would also have two actually A levels & a EPQ to apply with and probably a predicted grade around an A in Maths (as uplearn guarantee and A or A* or your money back).

This is where it gets a little harder to explain really; as the year went on I decided that in order to do maths, I'd need to relearn everything anyway, and realised that it wasn't a required subject for any of the uni courses I intend on applying to, so I decided instead of putting myself through the pain of a level maths again, that I would probably be better off learning an entirely different subject all together and decided on learning psychology instead; uplearn offer a course on it & its also a subject I've always been interested in.

It is now April of 2021 and I will be finishing up with history in the next 2 months or so and I am most likely to get either an A or B in it, which means I will definitely need an A in psychology to get into my uni choices. This essentially means I will be taking an A level from scratch & taking the entire 2-year AQA A level psychology course independently, within one year. I currently have the issue of how I would get a predicted grade, like can anyone referee me? If I find a random tutor, could I get them to be me referee? Where would I actually sit the final exam? Is it possible to get predicted grades if I sit the entirety of an A level in one year? etc,

This may all sound like drivel to some people & many of you may not care, but I would love to hear peoples thoughts as well as hopefully getting some questions answered and insight into things.

Sorry for the long barrage of information, but I wanted to get it off my chest and I will be very grateful for any help.
Sorry to hear about your situation/

I'm currently doing A Level Maths and Further Maths as a private candidate with an online college.

Through an online college, you will have an assigned tutor, who would be able to help with the reference.
The assignments you complete will help form your predicted grade. If you flunk the assignments, then your predicted grades aren't exactly going to look nice. If you are able to complete enough of your assignments, you would be able to get your predicted grade. How many of your assignments you can complete within 1 year will depend on you.
To sit an exam, you would need to look on the AQA's (or any other exam board's) website and find an approved exam centre. You will need to call the exam officer at the exam centre (usually a school or college), and book an exam. You will pay your admin fee and exam fee for the A Level.

Should you wish not to do the A Level via an adult college or via an online college, then you won't be able to get a predicted grade, but you are still eligible to sit the exam if you book it with the exam centre. I also doubt you can get a reference from a random teacher if you don't sign up for a course. You can ask your old teachers from your 6th form to give you your reference. I won't know how recent the references need to be for your application though.
kzadboy7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Sorry to hear about your situation/

I'm currently doing A Level Maths and Further Maths as a private candidate with an online college.

Through an online college, you will have an assigned tutor, who would be able to help with the reference.
The assignments you complete will help form your predicted grade. If you flunk the assignments, then your predicted grades aren't exactly going to look nice. If you are able to complete enough of your assignments, you would be able to get your predicted grade. How many of your assignments you can complete within 1 year will depend on you.
To sit an exam, you would need to look on the AQA's (or any other exam board's) website and find an approved exam centre. You will need to call the exam officer at the exam centre (usually a school or college), and book an exam. You will pay your admin fee and exam fee for the A Level.

Should you wish not to do the A Level via an adult college or via an online college, then you won't be able to get a predicted grade, but you are still eligible to sit the exam if you book it with the exam centre. I also doubt you can get a reference from a random teacher if you don't sign up for a course. You can ask your old teachers from your 6th form to give you your reference. I won't know how recent the references need to be for your application though.
Hi, thank you for the reply; I’m very grateful for you taking your time out to help me out. I don’t suppose you could attach a link to your online college? If I could apply through that it would save me a lot, at the moment I’m just unsure as to what steps to take to start off if you know what I mean
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My process is kind of rigourous, since I more or less interviewed all online colleges that offered the courses I wanted.

I'm with Oxbridge. They're good for the subjects I am studying, but that might be different for Psychology. This is the webpage for their Psychology course (coincidentally, it's with AQA), but I recommend you to do your due diligence when picking a course, since it can vary between courses even within the same college:
https://oxbridgehomelearning.uk/cour...el-psychology/

The typical things I would check are:

1. Cost
  2. Recommended hours spent on studying
  3. Do we get a question bank for practice questions
  4. Is there a discount for doing multiple A Levels with the college? (If this applies to you)
  5. What format is the material in? Text, video, etc.?
  6. What proportions of students enrolled on the course receive X grade
  7. What are the typical student's feedback?
  8. Will the tutors break things down step by step? (More applicable for maths)
  9. When do you accept enrolment (some have cut off dates)
  10. How long do I have access to the material? (typically 24 months)
  11. What is the background of the tutor?
  12. Are the standard textbooks included, or do all the material you provide will cover the entire syllabus?
  13. How responsive are the tutors?
  14. Other information worthy of note
  15. What are the reviews like on TrustedPilot.com, since some of the colleges have their reviews on there (you should find the reviews for the subject, since not all subjects are reflective of the college)?
For Psychology, I would also ask for model answers to the essay questions, just in case you want them.

The online colleges I have on file include:
National Extension College
Oxbridge Home Learning
Wolsey Hall Oxford The Home Schooling College
Learn Now
Cloud Learn
Oxford Learning College
Distance Learning Centre
Oxford Open Learning
Brockenhurst
NCC Home Learning
Home Study Zone
Stonebridge
Pembrokeshire
Oxford Home Schooling
ICS

There may be others for Psychology, so you should check.

Some of the colleges don't say what exam board they offer the course with on their website, so you will need to check. Each college usually only do their Psychology course with one exam board. If you're keen to go with AQA (and I recommend doing A Levels with them), then you need to be specific with your online search.

The details for the exam centre for A Level Psychology are on the following page of the AQA website:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ool-or-college
Last edited by MindMax2000; 3 weeks ago
kzadboy7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My process is kind of rigourous, since I more or less interviewed all online colleges that offered the courses I wanted.

I'm with Oxbridge. They're good for the subjects I am studying, but that might be different for Psychology. This is the webpage for their Psychology course (coincidentally, it's with AQA), but I recommend you to do your due diligence when picking a course, since it can vary between courses even within the same college:

1. Cost
  4. Is there a discount for doing multiple A Levels with the college? (If this applies to you)
  12. Are the standard textbooks included, or do all the material you provide will cover the entire syllabus?
  15. What are the reviews like on TrustedPilot.com, since some of the colleges have their reviews on there (you should find the reviews for the subject, since not all subjects are reflective of the college)?
For Psychology, I would also ask for model answers to the essay questions, just in case you want them.

Oxbridge Home Learning
Learn Now
Cloud Learn
Oxford Learning College
Distance Learning Centre
Oxford Open Learning
Brockenhurst
NCC Home Learning
Home Study Zone
Stonebridge
Pembrokeshire
Oxford Home Schooling
ICS

Some of the colleges don't say what exam board they offer the course with on their website, so you will need to check. Each college usually only do their Psychology course with one exam board. If you're keen to go with AQA (and I recommend doing A Levels with them), then you need to be specific with your online search.

The details for the exam centre for A Level Psychology are on the following page of the AQA website:
Thank you for this, this list is superb; I’m very grateful for the help & I will let you know what happens. Once again thanks
kzadboy7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago

1. Cost

Oxbridge Home Learning
Learn Now
Cloud Learn
Oxford Learning College
Distance Learning Centre
Oxford Open Learning
Brockenhurst
NCC Home Learning
Home Study Zone
Stonebridge
Pembrokeshire
Oxford Home Schooling
ICS

Hi, I know a few days have passed; but the Oxbridge online course for A level Psychology seems perfect, but I was just wondering what you did for a reference? They’ve said to me that they can provide me with a predicted grade, buts unlikely they will give me a reference?
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kzadboy7)
Hi, I know a few days have passed; but the Oxbridge online course for A level Psychology seems perfect, but I was just wondering what you did for a reference? They’ve said to me that they can provide me with a predicted grade, buts unlikely they will give me a reference?
I was studying a course at a local college, and they provided me with their reference for UCAS.

If you insist on getting a reference, you can try to ask the tutor you would be doing the A Level with, and see what he/she says. At worst, they can confirm when you did the course and what your grades were.

Failing that, you can try to get in contact with your previous tutors and teachers at your previous college, and see what they say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (98)
72.59%
No (37)
27.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed