Stan56
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am choosing my options for school now and I am thinking of choosing economics, business and sports science. Good selection ? My school advise taking a language or should I keep these.

Thanks
Adz2042
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
solid selection of choices.
I remember mine were ICT, Leisure & Tourism, Geography.
Always good to choose a technology subject as that's constantly evolving & always jobs in the field.
I chose leisure & tourism because i was interested in the hospitality industry, theme parks, visitor attractions and how they worked.
Geography for the nature and exploring, although the GCSE was slightly different to what I had in mind. Still enjoyed the subject though.

My school did the same (in regards to recommending us to take a language). I didn't do well at French, and although my school offered Italian and Spanish, I was happy with knowing English, as most countries around the world speak it.
Fortunately nowadays, we have Google Translate to help with foreign languages.
And you can learn languages quite easily through YouTube and free courses online. You don't need to do it in school.
Choose the subjects that will benefit you long term.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Stan56)
I am choosing my options for school now and I am thinking of choosing economics, business and sports science. Good selection ? My school advise taking a language or should I keep these.

Thanks
In the grand scheme of things, I don't think your choices for GCSEs would matter that much. At university, they can ask you what your grades were, but they don't ask about the subject unless it's English Language and Maths.

Unless you require the specific subjects for A Levels at college (this is very unlikely), then it's best to opt for options that you would do your best in and get the highest grades. Check with the college you want to apply to and the subjects you want to study though.

I did 3 languages at GCSE. It wasn't easy unless you really like languages. If you don't have the knack for it, I'd recommend avoiding it.
Stan56
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Adz2042)
solid selection of choices.
I remember mine were ICT, Leisure & Tourism, Geography.
Always good to choose a technology subject as that's constantly evolving & always jobs in the field.
I chose leisure & tourism because i was interested in the hospitality industry, theme parks, visitor attractions and how they worked.
Geography for the nature and exploring, although the GCSE was slightly different to what I had in mind. Still enjoyed the subject though.

My school did the same (in regards to recommending us to take a language). I didn't do well at French, and although my school offered Italian and Spanish, I was happy with knowing English, as most countries around the world speak it.
Fortunately nowadays, we have Google Translate to help with foreign languages.
And you can learn languages quite easily through YouTube and free courses online. You don't need to do it in school.
Choose the subjects that will benefit you long term.
Thanks . Ok I chose sports science and business as I would like to make my own physio business
DOOODARS
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sounds good. Don’t bother doing a language unless you are very good at it and/or very passionate, otherwise it’ll just be dead weight to you
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Stan56)

Thanks
Hey Stan56

I think these sound great! I did take French for GCSE and I think learning languages in general is useful, but I also like it, so I think it's down to preference. If you hate languages then you'll have a bad time and won't be as invested in the subject as you would be if you chose one you really liked. If you think you might be interested, I'd really recommend it. I enjoyed GCSE French.

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to study at uni? It sounds like something businessy because you want to do econ and business? That might help with your options choice. I'm a second year Business Management (Marketing) student at uni, so if you have any questions about the course or about GCSE choices, please ask!

Elena, Business rep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads