esu00pheobe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Advice on law university: SOAS or University of Nottingam - better for law?
Nightwish1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They're about equal in terms of being 'good' universities for law, neither would disadvantage you in terms of employability based on their name alone. Things you might want to be considering are location (would you prefer London despite the high living costs, or a smaller city like Nottingham?), the course (SOAS offers some very niche optional modules you won't find anywhere else, Nottingham have a more conventional law course - which suits your interests more?), the course format (is one predominantly essay/exam based (this is available on their websites) what suits you?), what their bar/law societies are like (again, this can be researched on their webpages), and finally the extracurricular societies they have (Nottingham is better for sport, SOAS has some very interesting niche societies though - you can find these on their student union pages).
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Geth071002)
Whilst the other person does raise some fair points I would say having talked to a former solicitor who worked at a MC firm ( and still has close ties to them ) and he insisted that I attended a rg as a must to give me the best chance at obtaining a tc and preferable one of the “target” unis which are Oxbridge, UCL, KCL , LSE, Durham, Bristol , Nottingham and Edinburgh ( along with a few others like Warwick, Manchester and York which don’t fall too far behind ). This is backed up by the chambersstudent from 2019 as well 2016 where the above mentioned unis were the most commonly found in the city firms . This is also seen by a quick search on LinkedIn which shows the alumni of the above mentioned unis have secured a fair amount of the tc at these top firms . However that being said attending a rg is the bare minimum and unless you attended Oxbridge then high 2:1 or a 1:1 with good work experience and good interviews plus assessments will factor more into whether you secure that tc . All that being said I highly recommend you attend university of Nottingham as it will just make things a lot easier in the long run ( which is backed up by data and my own personal experience of talking to people )
You've spoken to one person, who used the word "target". This suggests that they either had zero clue about recruitment to begin with, or that they're so old that their advice isn't applicable anymore.

Your list is off by the way. If we use your approach to defining 'targets', Exeter and Warwick would be as or more 'targeted' than LSE and UCL, and Edinburgh and York (which place a tiny number of graduates into these firms) wouldn't be 'targeted' at all. Of course, we know that this isn't the case, because there's no such thing as a 'target', just as there is no such thing as Santa Claus. It's just something that most users on this forum are too young to appreciate.

I think that anyone with half a brain can figure out why SOAS has fewer alumni working in MC firms than Nottingham, assuming that OP even cares about this. It may have something to do with the intake and the entry requirements...

What on earth does "have close ties" with an MC firm even mean? Does he consult for them? Does he go out for pints with an associate who happens to work there? Does he play football against them? And why would any of this put him in a better place to comment on their recruitment practices?

Honestly, the amount of sheer bullsh*t and second hand misinformation I see on here is too much some days...
Last edited by Johnny ~; 3 weeks ago
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by esu00pheobe)
Advice on law university: SOAS or University of Nottingam - better for law?
GIGO question.

What counts as 'better'?

Have you read this? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6247090

Have you done any research on your own? Any specifics you aren't sure about?
esu00pheobe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nightwish1234)
They're about equal in terms of being 'good' universities for law, neither would disadvantage you in terms of employability based on their name alone. Things you might want to be considering are location (would you prefer London despite the high living costs, or a smaller city like Nottingham?), the course (SOAS offers some very niche optional modules you won't find anywhere else, Nottingham have a more conventional law course - which suits your interests more?), the course format (is one predominantly essay/exam based (this is available on their websites) what suits you?), what their bar/law societies are like (again, this can be researched on their webpages), and finally the extracurricular societies they have (Nottingham is better for sport, SOAS has some very interesting niche societies though - you can find these on their student union pages).
Thank you this is very helpful - it gives me a guide from where to start
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.53%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
65.79%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.47%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (6)
7.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.32%

Watched Threads