The Student Room Group

i feel like a failure

I revised very hard for a history exam and got 18/30 which is a C.I feel like its a waste time even tho I revise very hard and put so much hours in I still get a C.Those grades will go towards my AS levels and I feel like im never gonna get good predicted grades,so now I feel like **** and I think im gonna have a breakdown.Any tips?
Original post by rola05
I revised very hard for a history exam and got 18/30 which is a C.I feel like its a waste time even tho I revise very hard and put so much hours in I still get a C.Those grades will go towards my AS levels and I feel like im never gonna get good predicted grades,so now I feel like **** and I think im gonna have a breakdown.Any tips?

is noone gonna help?
Original post by rola05

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You tried your best and that’s all you can really do. The exam is over so now you need to not look back and see if you can get any specific feedback to improve on the next test. Perhaps also you’re revision technique you’re using isn’t the most effective for you. Try looking up different revision techniques like the Feynman or Cornell methods. A lot of people like to use those. Make sure you’re doing active revision and not just passive! ie past papers and short cue cards instead of just highlighting/rewriting notes or the textbook. Keep believing in yourself and don’t be afraid to ask your teacher for tips to improve! You can do it!!!
Original post by dandelions9
Don’t be so hard on yourself. You tried your best and that’s all you can really do. The exam is over so now you need to not look back and see if you can get any specific feedback to improve on the next test. Perhaps also you’re revision technique you’re using isn’t the most effective for you. Try looking up different revision techniques like the Feynman or Cornell methods. A lot of people like to use those. Make sure you’re doing active revision and not just passive! ie past papers and short cue cards instead of just highlighting/rewriting notes or the textbook. Keep believing in yourself and don’t be afraid to ask your teacher for tips to improve! You can do it!!!

Thank you for the advice I've never heard of Feynman or Cornell methods so I will try it.I just feel like my mental health is just getting very bad and I'm so worried about my predicted grades and AS grades.
I used to feel the same as you. Because I used to study and always achieve average grades and even fail sometimes. I think the best advice I can give to you is to have an open mindset trust me you are so capable of smashing your history A levels just make sure you change the way you're studying because if you do the same thing you'll always end up with the same results. Don't be harsh on yourself. Commit to improving your grades and you will see a difference soon. :smile:
Reply 5
I'm not going to say the clichéd, "it's fine, you did all you could" etc, because I know how annoying it feels when you put a tonne of effort in and the exam isn't nice to you. First of all, try to see where you lost your marks. Is it all related to one particular unit/tiny section of the course? I don't do history, nor A-Levels in fact so unfortunately I can't be too specific but it's so important you know why you got something wrong. You mentioned you put in many hours, but maybe they were spent not revising your specification exactly. Make sure your revision is very tailored and really use your teacher for this to guide you for knowing what exactly to learn if you can. Secondly, don't think your predicted grades will not change. They most certainly can and WILL, as long as you don't lose motivation. A poor grade happens to the best of us at some point. It's not permanent. Good luck!
Original post by doh7aa_
I used to feel the same as you. Because I used to study and always achieve average grades and even fail sometimes. I think the best advice I can give to you is to have an open mindset trust me you are so capable of smashing your history A levels just make sure you change the way you're studying because if you do the same thing you'll always end up with the same results. Don't be harsh on yourself. Commit to improving your grades and you will see a difference soon. :smile:

thank you for the advice,what techniques have you used that may help me?
Original post by rola05
Thank you for the advice I've never heard of Feynman or Cornell methods so I will try it.I just feel like my mental health is just getting very bad and I'm so worried about my predicted grades and AS grades.

No worries. Don’t get yourself too stressed about predicted grades/AS grades. It’s been a tough year for students and teachers alike and I think what they’re trying to focus on this year when giving grades is the overall picture of how you’ve been doing throughout the year as a whole rather than it all building up to one/two exams that determine it all. Just make sure you take breaks between revision and give yourself small rewards every time you reach a new goal. I’m in my final year and I’ve been feeling stressed lately as well- but stress is normal for all students at this time of year lol I just keep thinking it’s almost Summer and that keeps me motivated. Find something to look forward to and every time you need a motivation boost just think about how great you’ll feel when it comes up :biggrin: Hope this helped a bit!
No worries. Don’t get yourself too stressed about predicted grades/AS grades. It’s been a tough year for students and teachers alike and I think what they’re trying to focus on this year when giving grades is the overall picture of how you’ve been doing throughout the year as a whole rather than it all building up to one/two exams that determine it all. Just make sure you take breaks between revision and give yourself small rewards every time you reach a new goal. I’m in my final year and I’ve been feeling stressed lately as well- but stress is normal for all students at this time of year lol I just keep thinking it’s almost Summer and that keeps me motivated. Find something to look forward to and every time you need a motivation boost just think about how great you’ll feel when it comes up :biggrin: Hope this helped a bit!

This is so motivating Thankyou:smile:

Original post by hehe_x
I'm not going to say the clichéd, "it's fine, you did all you could" etc, because I know how annoying it feels when you put a tonne of effort in and the exam isn't nice to you. First of all, try to see where you lost your marks. Is it all related to one particular unit/tiny section of the course? I don't do history, nor A-Levels in fact so unfortunately I can't be too specific but it's so important you know why you got something wrong. You mentioned you put in many hours, but maybe they were spent not revising your specification exactly. Make sure your revision is very tailored and really use your teacher for this to guide you for knowing what exactly to learn if you can. Secondly, don't think your predicted grades will not change. They most certainly can and WILL, as long as you don't lose motivation. A poor grade happens to the best of us at some point. It's not permanent. Good luck!

thankyou for the advice,this has really help.Do you think my predicted grades can change at the start of year 13?
Reply 10
Original post by rola05

thankyou for the advice,this has really help.Do you think my predicted grades can change at the start of year 13?

Given that you use the summer well, certainly. I hope you get the grades you aspire! x
Original post by rola05
thank you for the advice,what techniques have you used that may help me?

Spaced Repetition!! I’m gonna link some YouTube videos that I think explain it really good for you.
https://youtu.be/b7o09a7t4RA
https://youtu.be/Z-zNHHpXoMM
https://youtu.be/ukLnPbIffxE
I was in a similar decision since your in year 12 try and take access to insert university of your choice and that should help lower the grades you need to get to go into university-from a year 13

Quick Reply

Latest