The Student Room Group

How are GCSE 'assessments' this year going to be graded? Let's chat about them

Today I was speaking to my friends about this years 'GCSE's' and how they are going to be assessed. My teachers have mentioned to me that they already have an idea of the grade they are going to give each student, but in some of my lessons I am not personally happy with what I have achieved in past exams and so my aim with these current, final assessments is to do the best I can and come out with the highest grades possible.

For example, in chemistry I would really love an 8, but I have only been achieving 7's throughout the year, even though I know with the right amount of focus I am capable of getting higher.

My concern is, if I achieve higher grades in these upcoming tests, will my grades be upped/increased? Or are the teachers only allowed to give out a certain number of 7's 8's and 9's that it will prevent me from being given the higher grade?

Does anyone know?

What are your opinions on yr 11's having to do assessments - do you think they should be more weighted on past classwork instead?

I'd love to chat in the comments about it all - let me know your opinions! <3
Reply 1
Im sorry im in year 10- would help if I could :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by majg_786
Im sorry im in year 10- would help if I could :smile:

no worries, ty anyways! (:
I think that if you do better on your tests it would be evidence for progress so your teachers could justify you getting a better grade, so yes I'm pretty sure you can still improve! Bear in mind that teachers take into account everything - classwork, homework, engagement in class etc. and they know people sometimes dramatically improve in the last few months before GCSEs. I highly doubt they would limit you for simply giving out more good grades to others too because that would be quite unfair if I were to comment on that.

I personally think that our grades should be more weighted on classwork because it shows your general level, in comparison to tests where the time pressure and stress can alter your performance completely. I'd also prefer to have weekly module tests instead of a few weeks of intense mock exams but oh well, we'll see how everything works out. :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest