The Student Room Group

IBMS accreditation

Hello,

I have a BSc in Biological Science which isn't IBMS accredited as it is from outside the UK.
I was hoping you guys could help me answer a couple of questions:

1- If I do an IBMS accredited masters, would this be enough for HCPC registration or should my BSc also be accredited?

2- Will a sandwich route masters programme (masters + placement) will benefit me more than masters only programme?
Original post by MarKha
Hello,

I have a BSc in Biological Science which isn't IBMS accredited as it is from outside the UK.
I was hoping you guys could help me answer a couple of questions:

1- If I do an IBMS accredited masters, would this be enough for HCPC registration or should my BSc also be accredited?

2- Will a sandwich route masters programme (masters + placement) will benefit me more than masters only programme?

I'll correct the above from @MarKha

Absolutely no, an IBMS accredited MSc will not substitute an IBMS accredited undergraduate degree when it comes to HCPC registration. The obvious reason for this is that you need to have studied certain undergraduate level concepts. Just because you've studied some more advanced, Masters level content does not substitute for the basics you may not have studied at undergraduate level. And FYI, IBMS accreditation does NOT lead to Chartered Scientist route. Most within the profession will not gain this. It requires advanced practice.

In regards to is "masters + placement" more beneficial than just masters. Of course. It's extra experience.

What also has not been mentioned is that there is a specific route for people who want to apply to have their degree retrospectively IBMS accredited via a degree assessment route, for those with international qualifications. https://www.ibms.org/join/overseas-applicants/
Reply 2
Original post by RegisteredBMS
I'll correct the above from @MarKha

Absolutely no, an IBMS accredited MSc will not substitute an IBMS accredited undergraduate degree when it comes to HCPC registration. The obvious reason for this is that you need to have studied certain undergraduate level concepts. Just because you've studied some more advanced, Masters level content does not substitute for the basics you may not have studied at undergraduate level. And FYI, IBMS accreditation does NOT lead to Chartered Scientist route. Most within the profession will not gain this. It requires advanced practice.

In regards to is "masters + placement" more beneficial than just masters. Of course. It's extra experience.

What also has not been mentioned is that there is a specific route for people who want to apply to have their degree retrospectively IBMS accredited via a degree assessment route, for those with international qualifications. https://www.ibms.org/join/overseas-applicants/

Thank you for your response.

Regrading the IBMS assessment, will studying Master's reduce the top-up modules required by the IBMS or help me —in any way— in regards to my accreditation?

Also, I've heard that some universities offer a scientist training programme (STP) to be given after finishing the Master's programme.
Since the STP is highly competitive, If I manage to finish my Master's in one of those uninversities, will I be guaranteed a spot for the STP or will I have to go through further selection processes?

Thank you
Original post by MarKha
Thank you for your response.

Regrading the IBMS assessment, will studying Master's reduce the top-up modules required by the IBMS or help me —in any way— in regards to my accreditation?

Also, I've heard that some universities offer a scientist training programme (STP) to be given after finishing the Master's programme.
Since the STP is highly competitive, If I manage to finish my Master's in one of those uninversities, will I be guaranteed a spot for the STP or will I have to go through further selection processes?

Thank you

It's unlikely to, unless your masters includes content that would be in an IBMS accredited undergraduate degree. IBMS accreditation is about standarising the content in the courses, and a masters should not include the content that is in these courses as it should be a higher level.

Biomedical and Clinical Scientist jobs are very different, and just because you'll like one doesn't mean you'll like the other. As a Biomedical Scientist, I have zero interaction with Clinical Scientists, nor do they even exist within my area of Pathology. That said, I do know that the STP is post-graduate, not post-masters and that once you reach the minimum entry requirements (Life Science Degree of 2:1 or more) then your qualifications are shelved.
Reply 4
It's unlikely to, unless your masters includes content that would be in an IBMS accredited undergraduate degree. IBMS accreditation is about standarising the content in the courses, and a masters should not include the content that is in these courses as it should be a higher level.

Biomedical and Clinical Scientist jobs are very different, and just because you'll like one doesn't mean you'll like the other. As a Biomedical Scientist, I have zero interaction with Clinical Scientists, nor do they even exist within my area of Pathology. That said, I do know that the STP is post-graduate, not post-masters and that once you reach the minimum entry requirements (Life Science Degree of 2:1 or more) then your qualifications are shelved.

Then, I think the Master’s route might not be the best option for me.

Could you please tell me what is the shortest route for an international student like me to get a HCPC registration knowing that I have minimal work experience?

Thank you
As I've said, you need to go via the Overseas Applicant route which I have already given you the link to. You are an Overseas Applicant. You cannot take another route.
Reply 6
As I've said, you need to go via the Overseas Applicant route which I have already given you the link to. You are an Overseas Applicant. You cannot take another route.

Thank you for your helpful replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending