The Student Room Group

Transition metals: partially filled d-orbitals and Group 2

Hi guys,
Hope you are all well.

Please can I get help with these two questions

Explain why transition metals are effective catalysts referring to the partially filled d-orbitals.
and
Explain the trend in atomic radius ( referring to the change in direction/specific direction) part.
bump
Original post by ScienceLover2001
Hi guys,
Hope you are all well.

Please can I get help with these two questions

Explain why transition metals are effective catalysts referring to the partially filled d-orbitals.
and
Explain the trend in atomic radius ( referring to the change in direction/specific direction) part.

I assume the first part of the question pertains to Transition Metals while the latter is about Group 2?

For the first one, transition metals are effective catalysts for two reasons. Transition metals have partially filled d- orbitals which means they can easily donate or accept electrons with another reactant, thereby helping reduce activation energy.

For the second question, the atomic radius increases as you go down the Group. This is because the number of energy levels / electron shells increases down the group as more electrons are present, and hence the distance from the nucleus to the outermost orbital increases.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by qwert7890
I assume the first part of the question pertains to Transition Metals while the latter is about Group 2?

For the first one, transition metals are effective catalysts for two reasons. Firstly, transition metals have partially filled d- orbitals which means they can easily donate or accept electrons with another reactant, thereby helping reduce activation energy.

For the second question, the atomic radius increases as you go down the Group. This is because the number of energy levels / electron shells increases down the group as more electrons are present, and hence the distance from the nucleus to the outermost orbital increases.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest