The Student Room Group

Alternative to studying psychology

Hi all, I would like to study psychology as university but because of my recent exam grades and might not be able to do so. So I am wondering if any of you guys have suggestions to other ways I can get to do psychology undergraduate university or other ways that don’t include education that I might be able to become a therapist or a clinical psychologist .thank you .
I'm not too sure about becoming a therapist, but you do need an undergraduate degree in Psychology, plus postgraduate study, to become a psychologist. If you're really set on psychology and aren't meeting any of your UCAS choices then you're best off re-taking exams or going through clearing to see if a course will accept you on results day.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bernerditta
Hi all, I would like to study psychology as university but because of my recent exam grades and might not be able to do so. So I am wondering if any of you guys have suggestions to other ways I can get to do psychology undergraduate university or other ways that don’t include education that I might be able to become a therapist or a clinical psychologist .thank you .

You could do your psychology BSc with the Open University. There course is BPS accredited and they aren't so strict with asking for certain grades.

To move forward in this field you will need that BPS accredited degree, though.
Hi there,

You might want to look into completing an undergraduate degree in Psychology with a foundation year as entry requirements are generally lower than that of the standard undergraduate degree. For example, our standard BSc Psychology degree requires two subjects at GCE A-Level or its equivalent, plus passes at grade C or above in three subjects at GCSE level including Maths or its equivalent whereas our BSc Psychology with Foundation year requires at least 3 x GCSEs OR 45 credits at Level 2 or its equivalent, and also takes into consideration relevant work experience. Both of these are BPS-accredited too which as already stated above is necessary!
https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/foundation-year-entry-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-with-foundation-year
https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps

May be worth looking into :smile:

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest