The Student Room Group

OCR Pag 2.1 help?

Is there any chance anyone could help me with the extension questions
Original post by Rgeee321
Is there any chance anyone could help me with the extension questions

1. Blood leaves the kidney via the renal vein and eventually returns to the heart. This blood will pass through a number of blood vessels, organs and chambers of the heart before it returns to the systemic circulation via the aorta. Name the blood vessels, organs and chambers of the heart, in the correct order.

You probably know this one- if not let me know and i can help but hopefully you’ve been taught this :smile:

2. (a) Calculate how many times thicker the wall of the right ventricle is compared to the wall of the right atrium.
(b) Calculate how many times thicker the wall of the left ventricle is compared to the wall of the right ventricle.
(c) Explain your answers to (a) and (b).

Did you measure the thickness of the walls in the practical? Divide the larger wall thickness by the smaller wall thickness to get the answers to a and b. For part c, whichever wall you find is thickest (should be the left ventricle but if it’s wrong it may just be due to errors within the practical) think about the distance it has to pump blood and the pressure the blood is under when it is pumped

3. What is the function of the atrioventricular valves?

Think about the effects of the valve being open and the effects of it being shut. For example, you could discuss prevention of back flow and also think about where it allows blood to flow to and from (it’s pretty much in the name of the valve)

4. (a) Describe the role of the coronary arteries.
(b) What are the possible consequences of a blockage in a coronary artery?

For a, think about what the heart would need to perform its function- that’s what the coronary artery supplies. For b think about what would happen if this supply was blocked, what would happen if the heart couldn’t function?

Quick Reply

Latest