Edward_the2nd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Guys. Are the papers for the IAL syllabus going to be from locked past papers. Just like the students in the UK?
Or are we sitting a brand new paper that was meant to come out in May. But we’re just sitting it earlier?
TrES2b
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
brand new paper its called unseen materials as in its just like a normal exam
emilyofroses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I made a thread about this earlier, but I'm writing it here too - some schools are planning on taking the unseen online. My friends and I will be sitting for it in-person and we feel that if the exams are taken online for some students and in-person for others, many students might cheat and the paper may even get leaked. This may create a really high percentile and we'd end up with low grades. We were planning on letting Edexcel know about this.
Edward_the2nd
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilyofroses)
I made a thread about this earlier, but I'm writing it here too - some schools are planning on taking the unseen online. My friends and I will be sitting for it in-person and we feel that if the exams are taken online for some students and in-person for others, many students might cheat and the paper may even get leaked. This may create a really high percentile and we'd end up with low grades. We were planning on letting Edexcel know about this.
My school told me that edexcel won’t take online tests nor online exams as proof or evidence. So idk if they’re gonna care tbh.
Chimchima
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Edward_the2nd)
Guys. Are the papers for the IAL syllabus going to be from locked past papers. Just like the students in the UK?
Or are we sitting a brand new paper that was meant to come out in May. But we’re just sitting it earlier?
Yupp
Edward_the2nd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chimchima)
Yupp
So they’re not from locked past papers. But a whole new paper?
How’s that fair.
And can they get leaked a few hours before to the exam?
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How’s that fair.
Yes they are new papers. It's fair because that's how exams normally happen. The schools have a choice whether their students sit the paper at the correct time just like an ordinary exam or whether they use the paper after that date in any way they wish, e.g. leaving out any parts of the specification that they haven't taught.

They are only going to be leaked if there is a dishonest school that gets the papers out of the secure cupboard ahead of time.
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How’s that fair.
Yes they are new papers. It's fair because that's how exams normally happen. The schools have a choice whether their students sit the paper at the correct time just like an ordinary exam or whether they use the paper after that date in any way they wish, e.g. leaving out any parts of the specification that they haven't taught.

They are only going to be leaked if there is a dishonest school that gets the papers out of the secure cupboard ahead of time.

I see from your profile that you are expecting to get 3 grade As so I don't know what you are fussing about.
Edward_the2nd
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiny hobbit)

I see from your profile that you are expecting to get 3 grade As so I don't know what you are fussing about.
It’s just too stressful. Our school isn’t handling it properly. Teachers demotivate us, Not the best quality of teaching, Exams are a month earlier, And they’re not the only set of exams our school is setting up.
Edward_the2nd
Rep:
?

And ontop of that. If the exams get leaked then the grade boundaries are gonna be so high. Which is really gonna be unfair for some students like me
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
And ontop of that. If the exams get leaked then the grade boundaries are gonna be so high. Which is really gonna be unfair for some students like me
As I understand it, there won't be grade boundaries published. Schools will use the mark that their students get as part of the evidence towards the grade that they give the student.

Why are you so sure that the exams will be leaked? Do you know of a dishonest school that will leak them ahead of the exam time?
Edward_the2nd
Rep:
?
No not at all. I’m just overthinking it tbh
Edward_the2nd
Rep:
?
As I understand it, there won't be grade boundaries published.
And what does that mean? Will the grade be based on the class average. My teachers are sending our exams to the exam board to mark them. I don’t understand how there won’t be grade boundaries
I’m so sorry I sound stupid but I really don’t understand anything.
Last edited by Edward_the2nd; 2 weeks ago
Kenny828
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Then what is the difference between these unseen materials and the real exam?
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
And what does that mean? Will the grade be based on the class average. My teachers are sending our exams to the exam board to mark them. I don’t understand how there won’t be grade boundaries
I’m so sorry I sound stupid but I really don’t understand anything.
The board will then send your mark back to your school. Grade boundaries are usually set by the board based on the marks of all the candidates. That will not be taking place with the IAL papers this year.
Last edited by tiny hobbit; 2 weeks ago
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kenny828)
Then what is the difference between these unseen materials and the real exam?
The candidates for the A level qualification won't have to take this paper as a formal examination on the correct date. Schools (or countries) can choose to use the paper in whatever way they like after the official date for the paper.

The amount of teaching time lost over the past year has varied from one country to another, so some schools have taught all of the specification but others haven't. A school could therefore choose to leave off the paper any questions on material that they haven't taught.
Kenny828
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The candidates for the A level qualification won't have to take this paper as a formal examination on the correct date. Schools (or countries) can choose to use the paper in whatever way they like after the official date for the paper.

The amount of teaching time lost over the past year has varied from one country to another, so some schools have taught all of the specification but others haven't. A school could therefore choose to leave off the paper any questions on material that they haven't taught.
My school is going to give the whole paper including those haven’t been taught
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kenny828)
My school is going to give the whole paper including those haven’t been taught
That's rather unkind!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (64)
75.29%
No (21)
24.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise