xxvine
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi

Is there a software or quicker way to use footnotes instead of doing them individually on Microsoft Word?
I am doing my dissertation at the moment and I am using many different sources such as books, cases etc..I am going to use a lot of footnotes and obviously it will be very time consuming to have to type them up individually...
Nightwish1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends on the referencing system you are using - some like citethisforme, Mendeley, EndNote are great for commonly used reference styles. If you are using OSCOLA there are reference generators out there, but in my experience are still full of mistakes. I ended up writing the references for all my dissertations by hand as a result
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nightwish1234)
Depends on the referencing system you are using - some like citethisforme, Mendeley, EndNote are great for commonly used reference styles. If you are using OSCOLA there are reference generators out there, but in my experience are still full of mistakes. I ended up writing the references for all my dissertations by hand as a result
We use Oscola.

Did you do all your footnotes in the end (as in when you finished the dissertation) or did you inset them as you went along?
Nightwish1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by xxvine)
We use Oscola.

Did you do all your footnotes in the end (as in when you finished the dissertation) or did you inset them as you went along?
I am somewhere in the middle of those two approaches. I found that if I did nothing right up until the end I wasted a lot of time trying to track down my sources and risked accidentally plagiarising if I missed one whereas formatting as I went along was problematic, as OSCOLA requires you to use 'Author (n #) page' or ibid for sources cited more than once and the # might change as you make final edits and move sections of text around.
My approach was to add the footnote in without formatting (from just throwing in the weblink to copying in the harvard/apa/chicago reference that some pages provide you), and then at the very end going through and converting these to OSCOLA. This was also faster as after the first few you begin to remember the rules without having to keep referring to the OSCOLA guide.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yes i did the same, threw in the footnote as I went along and then tidoed it up at the end (as lots of times you can just refer to an earlier footnote (n7) but if you are still moving stuff around, that note number doesn't get updated automatically and then links to wrong thing. I also needed to keep track of word count so having the right number of words already for footnotes helped.
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nightwish1234)
I am somewhere in the middle of those two approaches. I found that if I did nothing right up until the end I wasted a lot of time trying to track down my sources and risked accidentally plagiarising if I missed one whereas formatting as I went along was problematic, as OSCOLA requires you to use 'Author (n #) page' or ibid for sources cited more than once and the # might change as you make final edits and move sections of text around.
My approach was to add the footnote in without formatting (from just throwing in the weblink to copying in the harvard/apa/chicago reference that some pages provide you), and then at the very end going through and converting these to OSCOLA. This was also faster as after the first few you begin to remember the rules without having to keep referring to the OSCOLA guide.
What does ibid mean? Also what do you do if you need to insert footnotes within once sentence? I have alway been confused about that.

Is there a document/pdf that explains OSCOLA fully? I think I was given it when I started my degree but that was like 3 years ago and I can't find it anymore.
Nightwish1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by xxvine)
What does ibid mean? Also what do you do if you need to insert footnotes within once sentence? I have alway been confused about that.

Is there a document/pdf that explains OSCOLA fully? I think I was given it when I started my degree but that was like 3 years ago and I can't find it anymore.
ibid should be used where you cite the same author in a row - for example, footnote 2 is Nightwish1234 (2021) p 6, and footnote 3 is Nightwish1234 (2021) p 17. You would write footnote 3 as 'ibid p 17'. This is all detailed on page 11 of the full length guide.

Footnotes should always follow the punctuation in a sentence - ideally at the end. See Page 9 of the full guide which states 'Put the footnote marker at the end of a sentence, unless for the sake of clarity it is necessary to put it directly after the word or phrase to which it relates'.

The full guide can be found here https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/files..._hart_2012.pdf, and a very summarised quick guide here https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/files...renceguide.pdf.

Hope this answers your questions!
Luksh Rathi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
you can use the zotero referencing software. it saves all the sources of your references and later those references can be inserted in the MS word directly through an extension. definitely worth checking out
Nightwish1234
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Luksh Rathi)
you can use the zotero referencing software. it saves all the sources of your references and later those references can be inserted in the MS word directly through an extension. definitely worth checking out
Im my experience Zotero makes mistakes with OSCOLA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (98)
36.03%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (41)
15.07%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (14)
5.15%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (28)
10.29%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (31)
11.4%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
12.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
9.93%

Watched Threads