How important is an NCTJ accredited course for international students coming to UK?

Watch
adwipal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I currently have an offer from Nottingham Trent (Magazine Journalism), which is an NCTJ accredited course, as well as from City, University of London (International Journalism), which is not accredited by the NCTJ. As an international student, how much should the accreditation factor in my selection of the universities?

Please consider that I want to find work in journalism at the UK after graduating.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you want to work in UK journalism then accreditation is very important
Srudra
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Even I have offers for magazine journalism from both NTU and City. I decided to opt for NTU because of the accreditation. It’s double accredited by NTCJ and PPA. These accreditations are recognised worldwide and would help to go a long way in the journalism field. I am from India and being an international student I felt NTU had better prospects that City.
adwipal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Srudra)
Even I have offers for magazine journalism from both NTU and City. I decided to opt for NTU because of the accreditation. It’s double accredited by NTCJ and PPA. These accreditations are recognised worldwide and would help to go a long way in the journalism field. I am from India and being an international student I felt NTU had better prospects that City.
Thanks for the reply, I find myself in a similar situation. While from what I've read City enjoys a greater reputation for the course, NTU has the benefits of the accreditation. (By the way, I am from India too. Do you plan on joining this year?)
Last edited by adwipal; 2 weeks ago
adwipal
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you want to work in UK journalism then accreditation is very important
Thank you for the response. Is the accreditation so important for magazines as well? (Just to note, NTU is accredited by the PPA as well, which I understand is the accreditation body for magazines)
Srudra
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by adwipal)
Thanks for the reply, I find myself in a similar situation. While from what I've read City enjoys a greater reputation for the course, NTU has the benefits of the accreditation. (By the way, I am from India too. Do you plan on joining this year?)
Yes I am planning to join for this September intake. I admit that NTU might not be very reputed but it had good rankings in the journalism sector. And the course module is really good. Btw. If you are okay with it, can we connect over any other social media? It would be good to be in touch with someone from the same course
adwipal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Srudra)
Yes I am planning to join for this September intake. I admit that NTU might not be very reputed but it had good rankings in the journalism sector. And the course module is really good. Btw. If you are okay with it, can we connect over any other social media? It would be good to be in touch with someone from the same course
Yes, I quite like the course module too. And sure, you can find me on Twitter or Instagram with the username adwipal.
Srudra
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sent you a request!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads