A level Further Maths Complex number Help

Watch
cm49919
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
In an Argand diagram, the points A, B and C are the vertices of an equilateral triangle with its centre at the origin. The point A represents the complex number 6 + 2i.
(a) Find the complex numbers represented by the points B and C, giving your answers in the form x + iy, where x and y are real and exact.

The points D, E and F are the midpoints of the sides of triangle ABC.
(b) Find the exact area of triangle DEF.

I don't really know if I got the first part right since I can't get a nice exact form for it. I got 2root10 (cos(arctan(1/3)+2pile/3) + isin(arctan(1/3)+2pile/3) and 2root10 (cos(arctan(1/3)+4pile/3) + isin(arctan(1/3)+4pile/3).
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You could consider each point as a rotation which gets rid of the angle sum inside the trig function.
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 weeks ago
cm49919
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
You could consider each point as a rotation which gets rid of the angle sum inside the trig function.
Sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean Like how can I turn those point into rotations???
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cm49919)
Sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean Like how can I turn those point into rotations???
A rotation by phi is multiplication by
e^(i*phi)

So either
* Create a "normal" equilateral triangle where the vertices are sqrt(40) from the origin and one vertex lies in the +ive x axis. Then rotate each vertex by atan(1/3).
* Rotate 6+2i by phi=2pi/3 (twice)

As they want an exact answer in rectangular form, maybe work directly in that, and Id try the second approach first as it seems slightly easier, but neither should be hard.
cm49919
Rep:
?
A rotation by phi is multiplication by
e^(i*phi)

So either
* Create a "normal" equilateral triangle where the vertices are sqrt(40) from the origin and one vertex lies in the +ive x axis. Then rotate each vertex by atan(1/3).
* Rotate 6+2i by phi=2pi/3 (twice)

As they want an exact answer in rectangular form, maybe work directly in that, and Id try the second approach first as it seems slightly easier, but neither should be hard.
I have tried the second method by multiply 6+2i with e^(i*2pi/3) and I just got the answer same as the answer I mentioned at the start since we have to also turn 6+2i into the form re^(i*phi), isn't it????
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cm49919)
I have tried the second method by multiply 6+2i with e^(i*2pi/3) and I just got the answer same as the answer I mentioned at the start since we have to also turn 6+2i into the form re^(i*phi), isn't it????
Write the bold in exact rectangular form, then multiply in rectangular form, as suggested previously.

The question is doing two things:
* Make sure you understand complex rotations.
* Get you to think about rectangular / exponential representation and which is appropriate for the question. The 6+2i is deliberately chosen to be "harder" in exponential form.The

Note you could get there after doing the exponential multiplication, but the trig messing around is just tedious.
cm49919
Rep:
?
Write the bold in exact rectangular form, then multiply in rectangular form, as suggested previously.

The question is doing two things:
* Make sure you understand complex rotations.
* Get you to think about rectangular / exponential representation and which is appropriate for the question. Obviously the answer should be the same, but the 6+2i is deliberately chosen to be "harder" in exponential form.
I will have a try on it. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (85)
36.17%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (37)
15.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (10)
4.26%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (24)
10.21%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (29)
12.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
11.91%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
9.36%

Watched Threads