Should I go back to uni this term while my ex is there?

Watch
ART2033
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My ex and I broke up 2 months ago and share all the same friends (but don’t live in the same house). It wasn’t a ‘bad breakup’ but we have been no contact since the breakup and I’ve been at home the past 5 weeks for the Easter break.

Uni is starting again next week but I can only go back for two weeks because I want to sit my exams at home. Only one of my housemates would be going back so it will be a quiet house. I’m worried if I go back it will upset me to bump into him (or hear about him from our mutual friends) but I’m also struggling to revise at home and would appreciate the use of the uni library. I’ve been feeling quite low at the minute and feel so lost with what will make me happier. A lot of my friends will be there but so will he. Should I bother going back to uni or wait until June when exams finish?
Adz2042
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your education + friends are important, so for that final bit of uni life, I would consider going back to spend time with your friends.
If they mention him, that's your cue to go for a walk, or head to the uni library [if it's open] to escape that conversation.
You can talk to your friends about anything else that isn't to do with him.

Bear in mind, when exams finish, most uni students tend to not stick around in their halls / uni location and either travel, or return to their parents [unless they outright bought the house and live there permanently - unlikely but some students do].

You have to just focus on you, your studies and maybe meet someone else to distract yourself from your ex. You'll get through this!
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You could ask your friends to not bring him up because of the recent breakup, I would think they'd be considerate of that. If you only bump into him you dont need to have a chat or socialize with him. Your ex shouldnt be a big deal if you dont make it one.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would go back now. See it as an investment in your future.

By the way, a hair cut always helps at times like these!

Buy yourself some nice treats and arrange things for yourself like going to the cinema.

You will find that if you can navigate this (and you will), you will have developed a skill which will stand you in good stead later on.
Last edited by Kerzen; 2 weeks ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would go back. You can't spend your life avoiding places just in case you bump into your ex.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (98)
72.59%
No (37)
27.41%

Watched Threads