The Student Room Group

Law univeristy

- Law degree at SOAS - is SOAS good in terms of employability after the course for law
Original post by esu00pheobe
- Law degree at SOAS - is SOAS good in terms of employability after the course for law

Hi esu00pheobe

I don't think I've ever seen an SOAS rep or ambassador on here so I thought I would try to help out. I found the info on their careers service at: https://www.soas.ac.uk/careers/. Hopefully a student from there will see this and be able to tell you how good it is. I imagine they will offer similar careers events to us at the University of Law. ULaw offers one to one sessions, seminars on improving applications and CVs, it has its own job listings, runs events with law firms, and offers different workshops for skills building (for example, I've completed Commercial Awareness and Leadership sessions).

Hope that link helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law.
Original post by The University of Law Students
I imagine they will offer similar careers events to us at the University of Law. ULaw offers one to one sessions, seminars on improving applications and CVs, it has its own job listings, runs events with law firms, and offers different workshops for skills building (for example, I've completed Commercial Awareness and Leadership sessions).

dude, he/she asked about SOAS specifically and you're using this as a chance to plug ULawl? how low can you people sink

Hello,

Our graduates go on to a range of careers - take a look at one LLB student's journey here. We currently have graduates working at the UN, The Times, Bloomberg, PwC and EY, to name a few. Employers really respect the global nature of Law at SOAS - and here, you get to study aspects of Law you won't see at other institutions.

Our Head of Law says: 'The many public lectures, conferences, networking events and workshops which are held by the School of Law and its five Research Centres will provide you with valuable opportunities to develop your thoughts about life beyond SOAS, including graduate destinations and career planning. After graduation, you will join a worldwide community of SOAS law alumni who are pursuing a diverse array of careers in law, public administration and business. In addition to practicing law as barristers or solicitors, our graduates are also working with policy think tanks, NGOs, UN agencies, government departments and corporations at the highest levels across the world.'

I hope this helps!
Original post by SOAS
Hello,

Our graduates go on to a range of careers - take a look at one LLB student's journey here. We currently have graduates working at the UN, The Times, Bloomberg, PwC and EY, to name a few. Employers really respect the global nature of Law at SOAS - and here, you get to study aspects of Law you won't see at other institutions.

Our Head of Law says: 'The many public lectures, conferences, networking events and workshops which are held by the School of Law and its five Research Centres will provide you with valuable opportunities to develop your thoughts about life beyond SOAS, including graduate destinations and career planning. After graduation, you will join a worldwide community of SOAS law alumni who are pursuing a diverse array of careers in law, public administration and business. In addition to practicing law as barristers or solicitors, our graduates are also working with policy think tanks, NGOs, UN agencies, government departments and corporations at the highest levels across the world.'

I hope this helps!

why are none of these employers law firms lmfao
any source for the "global nature of law" point. from an actual employer please. i dont see why studying chinese or african laws makes you a better candidate or more attractive. employers literally hire people with anthropology and science degrees these days :colondollar:
i clicked on the link and it said that SOAS was #1 for law when the dude applied. actually checked the guardian league table for 2021 and it says that SOAS is #46 for law. link for those interested: https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2020/sep/05/best-uk-universities-for-law-league-table. not sure why you have that misleading statement up on your site. you're clearly no longer special by your own standard.
Original post by EU Yakov
any source for the "global nature of law" point. from an actual employer please. i dont see why studying chinese or african laws makes you a better candidate or more attractive. employers literally hire people with anthropology and science degrees these days :colondollar:
i clicked on the link and it said that SOAS was #1 for law when the dude applied. actually checked the guardian league table for 2021 and it says that SOAS is #46 for law. link for those interested: https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2020/sep/05/best-uk-universities-for-law-league-table. not sure why you have that misleading statement up on your site. you're clearly no longer special by your own standard.

Graduated in 2004 🤣
Original post by SOAS
Hello,

I hope this helps!

Yes definitely thank you!

- Does SOAS offer accomadation only through their 'halls' or is there apartments to rent in London ?
Yes definitely thank you!

- Does SOAS offer accomadation only through their 'halls' or is there apartments to rent in London ?

Hi,

There are plenty of options for accommodation depending on what you're looking for! If you're looking for a place that is exclusively for SOAS students, the only option for that is Dinwiddy House which is halls of residence. I believe there are options at Diniwddy for studio apartments as well. For other options, you can see the SOAS accommodation page here :smile:

Ella
BA International Relations and Korean
Original post by SOAS
Hi,

There are plenty of options for accommodation depending on what you're looking for! If you're looking for a place that is exclusively for SOAS students, the only option for that is Dinwiddy House which is halls of residence. I believe there are options at Diniwddy for studio apartments as well. For other options, you can see the SOAS accommodation page here :smile:

Ella

oi

why do you have out of date stuff on your site
Original post by SOAS
Hi,

Ella

Thank you x
dude, he/she asked about SOAS specifically and you're using this as a chance to plug ULawl? how low can you people sink

That's a good point. It wasn't intentionally a plug, just providing the link and letting the poster know the sorts of things that go on in employability/careers services.

Directly to the SOAS official Rep: My apologies if that came across that way!

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law
Original post by The University of Law Students
That's a good point. It wasn't intentionally a plug, just providing the link and letting the poster know the sorts of things that go on in employability/careers services.

Directly to the SOAS official Rep: My apologies if that came across that way!

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law

Thank you for the link

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending