The Student Room Group

Clearing

I need some advice. I’ve had a change in heart on the course and unis I’d like to go to. How does clearing really work and is it hard to get uni spots through clearing.

Any advice on this topic would be helpful.
Reply 1
Clearing opens on IB results day in July, but if you're taking A-levels it's probably irrelevant until A-level results.

On results day, if you're holding no offers at all, you are automatically put into clearing, you'll be given a clearing ID number on Track. If you had a conditional offer and you met the conditions, you will have to decline it - there's a button on Track to do just that.

On the UCAS website there should be a list of available courses. Every university that has some courses in clearing will have a phone number posted that you can call and ask if they have a place, and you tell them your clearing ID number. They might give you a verbal confirmation of an offer. After 4 p.m. on results day you can add your clearing choices on Track. You can only pick one.
Reply 2
Yeah I’m doing A levels and have received offers from all of my unis. So can I firm a place now to make sure I have a spot and then go through clearing later on? Or do I ignore all of my offers and do it that way ?
Original post by Amaan111111
Yeah I’m doing A levels and have received offers from all of my unis. So can I firm a place now to make sure I have a spot and then go through clearing later on? Or do I ignore all of my offers and do it that way ?

You can either wait until you have your results and try to find a course with a place in Clearing - https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing. This means you hang onto any Firm offer for the subject you don't want until August.
OR
You can withdraw from any offers etc now and try to get an offer for a different subject in Extra - https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
If you are certain that you want to do an entirely different subject, this is a safer way of getting an offer earlier as more will probably be available now than at Clearing.
OR
You can cancel your entire application, take a gap year and reapply in September for the course you do actually want to do.
Reply 4
Thank you for this information. That extra option seems like the safer bet.

Say I apply for the extra one, get an offer and firm it, but don’t get the grades let’s say, is clearing still an option ?
Original post by Amaan111111
Thank you for this information. That extra option seems like the safer bet.

Say I apply for the extra one, get an offer and firm it, but don’t get the grades let’s say, is clearing still an option ?

Yes clearing exists to match applicants without a place to courses with vacancies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending