CIFAS Mark removed

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Nickyjohnson
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Long story short my card was used for fraud my card was blocked but I had nothing to do with it. The bank told me it’s fine and that they would send me a new card however they didn’t and said I can’t bank with them anymore I then bank with someone else after a year they block my account but I didn’t know why. So I open another account with a different bank and after 4 weeks they close my account this time they mention something about information on CIFAS which my previous bank would have shared so I call my previous bank explaining what had happened and that this is ruining my life and I’m suffering even tho I was the victim. They then put me through to the fraud team of that bank. At first the person from the bank said they won’t remove the marker because they had a right to, then when I explained it to her in detail she then said that she will remove it. However I won’t be able to bank with that bank anymore which I wasn’t already and she also said even though on the CIFAS database it will be removed it takes a month for it to come off my credit file. My question is, is that true? And can she tell me that but then not actually remove the marker or am I just being pessimistic? The call is also recorded when they talk to you so she can’t not remove it right?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Surely they are going to write to confirm?

Did the police find out who stole your card?
Nickyjohnson
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
No I didn’t report it to the police because after everything was fine for about a year
And she didn’t say anything about writing to confirm she told she will remove right now and that I should keep checking my credit report to see if it’s gone and that I should do an SAR on CIFAS to see if it’s still on the CIFAS database and if they hold any information on me
(Original post by Quady)
Surely they are going to write to confirm?

Did the police find out who stole your card?
Last edited by Nickyjohnson; 1 year ago
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nickyjohnson)
No I didn’t report it to the police because after everything was fine for about a year
And she didn’t say anything about writing to confirm she told she will remove right now and that I should keep checking my credit report to see if it’s gone and that I should do an SAR on CIFAS to see if it’s still on the CIFAS database and if they hold any information on me
Everything was fine apart from at the start of the year your original bank closed your account?

Might as well do both.
abigailbco
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hey can I ask what you told the bank cuz I’m in a similar situation and did the bank person remove it?
idektbh12
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
PLEASE GET IT REMOVED!
i was in a similar situation, with Lloyds, but I know many other people who have had similar situations with other banks such as Santander, Halifax, Barclays etc...
If you were actually innocent, by this i mean u didnt know that the money going into ur bank account was fraud money, firstly u need to call the fraud department and explain ur situation, and see their response. However I went to the branch instead and the lady there was extremely nice but said she cant do anything as its something for the fraud department to deal with, and she advised to go police and get a crime referance number in order to prove that i was innocent/victim.
However the manager was very rude and said theres nothing they can do and it was my fault and even if I did call the fraud department team, they wouldnt remove it. If this happens dont lose hope, go police and explain the situation and just be honest with them, theyre there to help u, I got a crime reference number. I went to some teachers at my school and explained the situation and showed them all the evidences I had such as screenshots and my teachers wrote me a statement confirming I was a victim and that they have seen the evidence (this step isnt necessarily important but it will help, if u go school/college please do this)
I called the bank fraud department team and I asked them to send me an email or their address, so that I can prove my innocence and they gave me their email.
I wrote my own statement (be formal and straight forward, dont hide anything and show ur innocence) and I gave them the teacher statement, and the police reference number from the police station as well the action fraud reference number and they removed it.
Dont worry about which bank it is since all banks follow the same procedure
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by idektbh12)
PLEASE GET IT REMOVED!
i was in a similar situation, with Lloyds, but I know many other people who have had similar situations with other banks such as Santander, Halifax, Barclays etc...
If you were actually innocent, by this i mean u didnt know that the money going into ur bank account was fraud money, firstly u need to call the fraud department and explain ur situation, and see their response. However I went to the branch instead and the lady there was extremely nice but said she cant do anything as its something for the fraud department to deal with, and she advised to go police and get a crime referance number in order to prove that i was innocent/victim.
However the manager was very rude and said theres nothing they can do and it was my fault and even if I did call the fraud department team, they wouldnt remove it. If this happens dont lose hope, go police and explain the situation and just be honest with them, theyre there to help u, I got a crime reference number. I went to some teachers at my school and explained the situation and showed them all the evidences I had such as screenshots and my teachers wrote me a statement confirming I was a victim and that they have seen the evidence (this step isnt necessarily important but it will help, if u go school/college please do this)
I called the bank fraud department team and I asked them to send me an email or their address, so that I can prove my innocence and they gave me their email.
I wrote my own statement (be formal and straight forward, dont hide anything and show ur innocence) and I gave them the teacher statement, and the police reference number from the police station as well the action fraud reference number and they removed it.
Please do not bump old threads. Start a single new one.

(Duplicating my reply from elsewhere.)

I think you are being misleading by implying that every bank will remove a marker if you play the "I was too naïve to even know what was going on" card.

Yes, some might hypothetically remove a marker if you provide some evidence about what was going on, but equally they might not and statements like "Dont worry about using someone else using ur bank account" are really not helpful, nor is "the marker is there to show others that u willingly and knowingly let others use ur account for fraud" which is factually incorrect.

It's great if you got a marker removed but I think you are giving people a lot of false hope here just from your anecdotal experience.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by idektbh12)
PLEASE GET IT REMOVED!
Please do not bump old threads. Start a single new one.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads