The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

UCL/KCL

Going UCL this autumn and an ex *might* be going to King's but i don't know yet. I get serious anxiety whenever she is mentioned or near me for reasons i don't want to talk about. I'm a very outgoing and social person so will be going out a lot and just wanted to know what are the odds that we bump into each other or are at the same venue? I'll be doing 3-4 years she will be doing 5 ish if she goes. Would like to go to some KCL fresher's events but obviously that might not be a great idea lol.
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Going UCL this autumn and an ex *might* be going to King's but i don't know yet. I get serious anxiety whenever she is mentioned or near me for reasons i don't want to talk about. I'm a very outgoing and social person so will be going out a lot and just wanted to know what are the odds that we bump into each other or are at the same venue? I'll be doing 3-4 years she will be doing 5 ish if she goes. Would like to go to some KCL fresher's events but obviously that might not be a great idea lol.
Thanks

Hey,
As a mature student and having had to deal with this situation before. I’d suggest opening up a dialogue with your ex and asking for some civility. If she declines, you should still go to the events you want to go to because you will meet people you might otherwise never have in your life. Where possible go with a trusted few people who will be honest and remind you not to engage with her if you end up drinking one too many. This probably won’t be the last time you may be in such a situation. You can do this. Also, the anxiety will dissipate over time, especially if you see her out and don’t engage in negativity. Those are my thoughts anyway. :smile: and congrats on your offer!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Hey,
As a mature student and having had to deal with this situation before. I’d suggest opening up a dialogue with your ex and asking for some civility. If she declines, you should still go to the events you want to go to because you will meet people you might otherwise never have in your life. Where possible go with a trusted few people who will be honest and remind you not to engage with her if you end up drinking one too many. This probably won’t be the last time you may be in such a situation. You can do this. Also, the anxiety will dissipate over time, especially if you see her out and don’t engage in negativity. Those are my thoughts anyway. :smile: and congrats on your offer!

thank you for the advice i'll make sure to use it if i find myself in the situation. Do you go to either KCL or UCL? If so could you shed some light on whether or not I'm actually likely to see her around since London is huge
thank you for the advice i'll make sure to use it if i find myself in the situation. Do you go to either KCL or UCL? If so could you shed some light on whether or not I'm actually likely to see her around since London is huge

I’m afraid I start at KCL this September so I can’t shed light on that, but I previously went to LCF and while London is huge, the places everybody goes to are small during freshers and with student life in general.
For example I’ve lived in this city my whole life and I bump into people I know or used to know all the time. Despite having friends all over. Trust me, it doesn’t feel as big as it is.
Reply 4
I’m afraid I start at KCL this September so I can’t shed light on that, but I previously went to LCF and while London is huge, the places everybody goes to are small during freshers and with student life in general.
For example I’ve lived in this city my whole life and I bump into people I know or used to know all the time. Despite having friends all over. Trust me, it doesn’t feel as big as it is.

I see, the advice I've had from people before is that London and university in general is huge so its unlikely but they don't live there. I know LCF is very small compared to UCL and KCL so perhaps there was an increased chance of you being subsumed into larger university's socials? I know UCL and KCL have some of their own events and that. Guess I'll try figure it out, just difficult since its been a year since we broke up (she has a new bf) and i pretty much have spent most of year 13 trying to avoid seeing her since it gives me major anxiety and whatever and having that at uni would be awful
Reply 5
It's very easy to avoid someone in London without even trying.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
It's very easy to avoid someone in London without even trying.

elaborate? I want to get rid of this shroud thats been in my life without actively trying to avoid her (since then i'm still thinking about it and what not etc) so I'm trying to reason the odds right now so i can put it to bed when i go... I know you go to imperial (?) which is a bit removed from the other london unis. KCL,LSE and UCL are fairly close together i think (i can't even tell since the distances themselves mean nothing as the social areas/venues could be the same for UCL/KCL students :/) also: thank you :smile:
I see, the advice I've had from people before is that London and university in general is huge so its unlikely but they don't live there. I know LCF is very small compared to UCL and KCL so perhaps there was an increased chance of you being subsumed into larger university's socials? I know UCL and KCL have some of their own events and that. Guess I'll try figure it out, just difficult since its been a year since we broke up (she has a new bf) and i pretty much have spent most of year 13 trying to avoid seeing her since it gives me major anxiety and whatever and having that at uni would be awful

I understand, I didn’t realise you’re not from London. It’s obviously a different environment when you are. In which case I’d agree with the majority that it’s unlikely you’ll bump into people you know. But I’m sure it’s the same in any city you grow up in, you always see people you know. And my experience wasn’t that they went to my uni, just that they lived in my city.
Reply 8
elaborate? I want to get rid of this shroud thats been in my life without actively trying to avoid her (since then i'm still thinking about it and what not etc) so I'm trying to reason the odds right now so i can put it to bed when i go... I know you go to imperial (?) which is a bit removed from the other london unis. KCL,LSE and UCL are fairly close together i think (i can't even tell since the distances themselves mean nothing as the social areas/venues could be the same for UCL/KCL students :/) also: thank you :smile:

I know people in the department physically next to mine who I only rarely 'bumped into' during a normal day; if that's possible when they're in the next building over then it's certainly possible if you're in different universities.
Plus, won't she be wanting to avoid you as well?
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh
I know people in the department physically next to mine who I only rarely 'bumped into' during a normal day; if that's possible when they're in the next building over then it's certainly possible if you're in different universities.
Plus, won't she be wanting to avoid you as well?

i honestly doubt she cares but that is reassuring thanks

Quick Reply

Latest