Conditional offer on an access course

Watch
ruthiecain2008
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi I’ve applied to do an access to he in health. I have received a conditional offer. The conditions are: a place being available:successful induction period: English revision before course start date. I get the English part. I’m confused by the induction part and a place being available. Has anyone came across this?
Fuzzi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This sounds similar to mine.

Probably because they're currently unsure how many students they're going to accept so they're offering lots of students places and come September they may only have room for, for example, 30. They then may be stricter with entry requirements to select the correct people.

Unsure about the induction period bit though, maybe it's worth emailing to ask? I doubt they're going to do a probation style induction and kick you off the course after 2 weeks.. maybe they mean successful enrolment? Give them a ring lol
ruthiecain2008
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks lovely. I’ve emailed them
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ruthiecain2008)
Hi I’ve applied to do an access to he in health. I have received a conditional offer. The conditions are: a place being available:successful induction period: English revision before course start date. I get the English part. I’m confused by the induction part and a place being available. Has anyone came across this?
Hello!

I teach on an Access to HE program so know a little about this.

Firstly, most health professions particularly nursing and midwifery have a professional requirement of a certain level of English and Maths (for midwifery there is also the need for a good GCSE in science too), to progress onto the degree after Access. The induction session part is to weed out any troublemakers and can commit to a specific time table etc. Induction is nice and straight forward with an overview of the program, and if you have any additional learner needs that will be discussed (10% or so of my students are dyslexic etc.), you cannot be refused a place on a course if you fall into that category under the Equality Act 2010.

The 'places being available' is there for legal reasons, if a course in any subject under recruits then it will not run. Health is a very popular area though, I currently have three nursing groups

You'll do great. A useful book would be 'health studies' by Naidoo and Wills

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
London38
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all.

I’m currently a psychology masters student where I will be applying for graduate entry medicine to start next year. I also have a BA undergraduate degree. I’m applying for this access course as another route in to medicine if the graduate entry route should fail.

My question: I completed my GCSE’s so many years ago that I have no idea where my certificates are. Have they asked for these when people have my had their offers? I have my degree and a diploma I completed years ago but my GCSEs... no clue.

Any advice?
ruthiecain2008
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Arden University)
Hello!

I teach on an Access to HE program so know a little about this.

Firstly, most health professions particularly nursing and midwifery have a professional requirement of a certain level of English and Maths (for midwifery there is also the need for a good GCSE in science too), to progress onto the degree after Access. The induction session part is to weed out any troublemakers and can commit to a specific time table etc. Induction is nice and straight forward with an overview of the program, and if you have any additional learner needs that will be discussed (10% or so of my students are dyslexic etc.), you cannot be refused a place on a course if you fall into that category under the Equality Act 2010.

The 'places being available' is there for legal reasons, if a course in any subject under recruits then it will not run. Health is a very popular area though, I currently have three nursing groups

You'll do great. A useful book would be 'health studies' by Naidoo and Wills

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Thanks for the info Marc

I’m working my way through several books they have recommended, but will certainly have a look
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (283)
76.08%
No (89)
23.92%

Watched Threads