ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago

Welcome to the University of Glasgow A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

Glasgow A100 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6560666

For general information click: https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...ine/#/a-levels

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 5 months ago
Freak121
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi All,

I’m new here, I’m a mature student wanting to go back to education and study Medicine at the Uni of Glasgow.

Problem is.. I’m a graduate with a 2:2 😭 I pretty much flunked out of my degree due to lots going on in family at the time but i scraped enough to get a 2:2 instead of leaving the course. My degree isnt in a science subject so my question is as Glasgow requires a 2:1 or above for graduate entry will they still take me if I meet their alevel requirements? My degree is also over 7 years so I need to sit alevels as per their entry requirements

I have children so dont really have the option of applying to other uni’s 😔🙏🏻 so praying and hoping if I get a decent UCAT score and alevel/higher results they will take me.

Anyone been through this or have experience with it?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Freak121)
Hi All,

I’m new here, I’m a mature student wanting to go back to education and study Medicine at the Uni of Glasgow.

Problem is.. I’m a graduate with a 2:2 😭 I pretty much flunked out of my degree due to lots going on in family at the time but i scraped enough to get a 2:2 instead of leaving the course. My degree isnt in a science subject so my question is as Glasgow requires a 2:1 or above for graduate entry will they still take me if I meet their alevel requirements? My degree is also over 7 years so I need to sit alevels as per their entry requirements

I have children so dont really have the option of applying to other uni’s 😔🙏🏻 so praying and hoping if I get a decent UCAT score and alevel/higher results they will take me.

Glasgow doesn't do graduate entry medicine (4 year course), do you mean grad applying to their standard undergrad medicine course?

Or do you mean ScotGEM? But that's run by St Andrews.

Usually you cannot compensate one stat for another, if you don't meet minimum entry requirements you'll just be automatically rejected (by a robot / computer programme). It's best to email and ask the Uni directly and get clarification / confirmation.
Freak121
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Glasgow doesn't do graduate entry medicine (4 year course), do you mean grad applying to their standard undergrad medicine course?

Or do you mean ScotGEM? But that's run by St Andrews.

Usually you cannot compensate one stat for another, if you don't meet minimum entry requirements you'll just be automatically rejected (by a robot / computer programme). It's best to email and ask the Uni directly and get clarification / confirmation.
I’ve emailed but not recieved a response, i mean i’ll be applying to the standard undergrad course.

I’ll make sure i meet the standard entry requirements but unfortunately wont meet the graduate ones
ecolier
Rep:
?
I’ve emailed but not recieved a response, i mean i’ll be applying to the standard undergrad course.

I’ll make sure i meet the standard entry requirements but unfortunately wont meet the graduate ones
The problem is some med schools will put the grads together and make them compete against each other, even if they are applying to standard undergrad medicine courses.

That's why that many med schools will have a different UCAT thresholds for grads and undergrads, applying to the very same course e.g. SGUL A100 (https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergr...ons-statistics)

Make sure you have a proper reply from Glasgow, otherwise it'll just be a wasted choice.
lastlullabyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure that you can't compensate for 2.2 at Glasgow, and at a lot of other unis for that matter. They ask for bio and chem if your degree is over 7 years old, but they'll still look at the "minimum 2.1" degree. But as ecolier said, wait until you get a reply directly from them. Glasgow only uses entry requirements to check if you meet the minimum ones and then solely use UCAT to invite to the interviews. So most likely you'd get pre-interview rejection if you apply with 2.2.
lastlullabyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'll be a first poster going to Glasgow in 2022

I got an offer this year for 2022 entry (deferred application). Scottish graduate. Looking forward to meeting more people as the next application cycle goes on and good luck with your applications!
rikajuu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lastlullabyy)

I got an offer this year for 2022 entry (deferred application). Scottish graduate. Looking forward to meeting more people as the next application cycle goes on and good luck with your applications!
Well done! What are you studying currently? I’m only in S5 but will be applying in October and Glasgow is my first choice
lastlullabyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by oritaju)
Well done! What are you studying currently? I’m only in S5 but will be applying in October and Glasgow is my first choice
Thanks! I'm not studying anything at the moment, I finished BSc in 2016 and MSc in 2017, so have been working full-time since then. Good luck with your applucation!
rikajuu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks! I'm not studying anything at the moment, I finished BSc in 2016 and MSc in 2017, so have been working full-time since then. Good luck with your applucation!
Nice, and thanks, you too!
Medicinally
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

CONGRATULATIONS! What were your stats? I also have a few other questions if you don't mind please.
Are there capped places for graduates?
Are applicants from RUK disadvantaged?
If you are a graduate, do you have to meet the minimum GCSE/a level requirements too or just the degree requirement and if you meet that you move onto the next stage ie. UCAT?

Thanks for your time and well done on your offer!
lastlullabyy
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Medicinally)
CONGRATULATIONS! What were your stats? I also have a few other questions if you don't mind please.
If you are a graduate, do you have to meet the minimum GCSE/a level requirements too or just the degree requirement and if you meet that you move onto the next stage ie. UCAT?

Thank you! I had a 2.1 BSc (Hons) Biomedicine degree (2016) and MSc with Merit in Stratified Medicine and Pharmacological Innovation (2017). If you have a scientific degree within the last 7 years, they just look at your degree. If you come from non-science background and/or if your last degree is older than 7 years, you have to take Higher/A-level bio and chem.

Glasgow only checks whether you meet the minimum requirements, so e.g. for me it was a degree, then they rank everyone based on UCAT score and invite around top 800 to interviews.

I don't believe that they have a cap on grads "officially" BUT if you look at admissions stats, every year similar amount of grads gets interviewed (130-140ish), get offers and start med (around 50ish). I'm classed as a Home (Scottish) student so wouldn't know about RUK, sorry - but I assume they fall under the general cap of RUK places overall.
Medicinally
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you! I had a 2.1 BSc (Hons) Biomedicine degree (2016) and MSc with Merit in Stratified Medicine and Pharmacological Innovation (2017). If you have a scientific degree within the last 7 years, they just look at your degree. If you come from non-science background and/or if your last degree is older than 7 years, you have to take Higher/A-level bio and chem.

Glasgow only checks whether you meet the minimum requirements, so e.g. for me it was a degree, then they rank everyone based on UCAT score and invite around top 800 to interviews.

I don't believe that they have a cap on grads "officially" BUT if you look at admissions stats, every year similar amount of grads gets interviewed (130-140ish), get offers and start med (around 50ish). I'm classed as a Home (Scottish) student so wouldn't know about RUK, sorry - but I assume they fall under the general cap of RUK places overall.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I appreciate your time
Glory2344
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Medicinally)

congrats!! I am also a scottish graduate looking to applying in October. If you don't mind me asking what was your ucat score?
lastlullabyy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Glory2344)
congrats!! I am also a scottish graduate looking to applying in October. If you don't mind me asking what was your ucat score?
I assume you wanted to ask me? 2750, B1
Glory2344
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I assume you wanted to ask me? 2750, B1
Haha, yeah. Thanks. I just started using TSR so I’m still finding my way around it.
nonall
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

hello , i emailed them already asking If wiuld be looking for any GCSE or A-level for engineering gradute students.
I was bit concerned about what appropriate “science “degree means ?as my degree is engineering would the be sufficient to just be considering my degree?
abh27sss
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nonall)
hello , i emailed them already asking If wiuld be looking for any GCSE or A-level for engineering gradute students.
I was bit concerned about what appropriate “science “degree means ?as my degree is engineering would the be sufficient to just be considering my degree?
Maths graduate here. I emailed them and was told I still need to sit Higher Bio and Chem. It's safer to email them.
nonall
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by abh27sss)
Maths graduate here. I emailed them and was told I still need to sit Higher Bio and Chem. It's safer to email them.
ohhh, thanks!
Do you mind me asking? what is your choices to apply for universities that will only accepts and consider your degree as there is lack of bio and chem?
my recent options are st george and newcastle for now.
lastlullabyy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nonall)
Yes, definitely email and ask them - I studied Biomedicine and scientific MSc, have no idea about engineering, sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (216)
56.4%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.05%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (44)
11.49%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.62%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
6.01%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
4.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed