Black 16 year old shot dead by police

Watch
This discussion is closed.
difeo
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
https://news.sky.com/story/black-gir...-read-12282201

Personally think it was a totally justified shooting.

Thoughts?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
I really am getting tired of the media focusing on their skin tone, its irrelevant in most of these cases. This particular little sweetie tried to stab someone. Props to the officer for protecting them.
It does beg the the question, do the media people think we should be allowing violent crminals free reign just because theyre black? Or are they just after clicks by making a race issue out of nothing. Whilst sad black girl getting shot, a violent criminal is not exactly the poster person to use for so called racist police here.
chelsea.uri
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by difeo)
https://news.sky.com/story/black-gir...-read-12282201

Personally think it was a totally justified shooting.

Thoughts?
No one deserves to get shot. Can you justify your answer?
Napp
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by chelsea.uri)
So a gunman (or someone wielding a knife) trying to kill people should be allowed to run amok? Brilliant idea.
chelsea.uri
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
So a gunman (or someone wielding a knife) trying to kill people should be allowed to run amok? Brilliant idea.
No but he doesn’t deserve to die. Human life is sacred. If you didn’t give him life you can’t take it away...
difeo
Rep:
If you attack someone with a knife you should be shot to remove the threat. Had she survived she'd be on trial for assault with a deadly weapon if not attempted murder.

What should the officer have done?
Last edited by difeo; 8 months ago
chelsea.uri
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by difeo)
If you attack someone with a knife you should be shot to remove the threat. Had she survived she'd be on trial for assault with a deadly weapon if not attempted murder.

What should the officer have done?
Please read my previous post
difeo
Rep:
No but he doesn’t deserve to die. Human life is sacred. If you didn’t give him life you can’t take it away...
That's a nice sentiment but doesn't mean much. Talking practically, what should the officer have done?
Napp
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
With all due respect but what a load of tosh, religious nonsense has no place in such a debate. Especially when you explicitly said people should be allowed to kill each other wit no consequences (just not the police for some reason).
Tat being said, what makes the life of a teenage attempted murderer sacred, or more so than the person shes trying to kill - like in this case? As you explicitly state she should be allowed to murder the other person...
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
I really am getting tired of the media focusing on their skin tone, its irrelevant in most of these cases. This particular little sweetie tried to stab someone. Props to the officer for protecting them.
It does beg the the question, do the media people think we should be allowing violent crminals free reign just because theyre black? Or are they just after clicks by making a race issue out of nothing. Whilst sad black girl getting shot, a violent criminal is not exactly the poster person to use for so called racist police here.
they're just trying to get clicks - yup :yep: news is a business and what will make you more horrified than this headline and click on it ngl smh (insert ngl smh emogi). media is a dangerous dictatorship of information and can easily exploit the average, ignorant person in their understanding of the world around them.

well the article does not give myself enough information to make my own decision if it was justified or why i should be judge/jury. but it does beg the question how it would be handled differently in the UK where over 90 percent of police officers do not carry guns. probs if this were in the UK there wouldn't be a dead body.

black people in America are more likely to be killed by police officers tho, so cannot deny that either. so why is that? and why isn't that an appropriate question?

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793
A1exei
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
they're just trying to get clicks - yup :yep: news is a business and what will make you more horrified than this headline and click on it ngl smh (insert ngl smh emogi). media is a dangerous dictatorship of information and can easily exploit the average, ignorant person in their understanding of the world around them.

well the article does not give myself enough information to make my own decision if it was justified or why i should be judge/jury. but it does beg the question how it would be handled differently in the UK where over 90 percent of police officers do not carry guns. probs if this were in the UK there wouldn't be a dead body.

black people in America are more likely to be killed by police officers tho, so cannot deny that either. so why is that? and why isn't that an appropriate question?

I agree with what you’re saying on the whole, but she had a kitchen knife and was attacking another young girl, so I don’t think it would’ve been easy for her to overpower the one carrying the knife. She also did not put it down when they warned her. The uk is quite unique in that police don’t carry guns. I think it’s one of the few countries with that policy
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Unlike with Floyd, this particular suspect was actually trying to harm someone maybe even killing them. I side with the police on this one
Last edited by The RAR; 8 months ago
difeo
Rep:

A major reason is because they commit more crime. I'd like to see the police killing stats adjusted for that fact
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by difeo)
A major reason is because they commit more crime. I'd like to see the police killing stats adjusted for that fact
can you give me a source on that and how it explains why police brutality is disproportionate against black people?
Napp
Rep:
Report 8 months ago

True say on the media, them and the social media firms really do need regulating more. Then again, i dont particularly trust those doing the regulating either so damned if you do and that :lol:
Mm from my understanding she was trying to stab someone (who may or may not have attacked her first) the fact she was running around with a knife though rather speaks vollumes in my book.
As to the question of blacks and crime. There is undoubted inferences that the system is skewed to punish them more (like a black going to jail for pot possession vs. a white getting a fine) however it does rather ignore the fact that theyre still committing crimes (something these protestor and online twitterati sorts tend to politely ignpore). On the one hand the plods shouldnt be gunning people down willynilly but on the other, as you noted, there is an undoubted problem in the community that has led to this. Hearing some of the justifications from various voxz-pops during the riots was interesting. One lady noted that the state has completely ignored them and goes after them so **** it why shouldnt they do what they want :lol:

Back on the question of crime rates within the community though, there was an interesting piece in The Economist noting that black homes are disproportionally broken with the whole 'baby daddy' thing being quite prevalent - something BLM ironically enough wants to perpetuate - but many hard questions need to be asked on the whole thing. Alas, the only ones being asked are about the plods and at best ignore the root causes the lead to it. Or, at worst, screech 'racist' whenever anyone does mention that there are distinct community problems that contribute to it. The middle class and protestor sorts really dont seem to be helping much by simply ignoring half the picture and trying to force a political agenda on a diverse social issue. Shame really as all it does is perpetuate the problem as opposed to really helping anyone, least of all the black people on the sharp end of the problem.
Talon
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
She was actively going in for the stab (lethal force) and the police officer stopped her (lethal force). The officer wasn't close enough to tackle her before she stabbed the other girl and likewise there was no time to switch to a taser, and it wasn't the best conditions for taser use anyway. I would be extremely surprised if this shooting was not seen as justified. He saved the other girl's life.

I've seen lots of idiots on twitter compare it to situations where a white person wasn't shot, but who also was not in the process of stabbing or shooting anyone. The situations were totally different.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
So a mother stabbing her kids? Perfectly fine according to that logic.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 8 months ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Lmao. Left wing logic, not even once...
stomachulcer
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
So you live in the USA. Everyone knows that police officers in the USA carry guns and will use the guns if somebody is deemed to be dangerous. This girls charges at people with a knife, almost seems to stab somebody, is then shot dead by the police. People are protesting. Why is nobody protesting for the people whose lives were in danger? And judging by the video, shotting the girl yielding the knife probably saved the life of the other girl, or at least saved her from serious injury. I just don't get it. Before anybody accuses me of not getting it because I'm white, I'm not white. I'm a black female.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by stomachulcer)
So you live in the USA. Everyone knows that police officers in the USA carry guns and will use the guns if somebody is deemed to be dangerous. This girls charges at people with a knife, almost seems to stab somebody, is then shot dead by the police. People are protesting. Why is nobody protesting for the people whose lives were in danger? And judging by the video, shotting the girl yielding the knife probably saved the life of the other girl, or at least saved her from serious injury. I just don't get it. Before anybody accuses me of not getting it because I'm white, I'm not white. I'm a black female.
Because left whingers absolutely love siding with the criminal. They love it man. This case alone is like their wet dream. Ticks all the boxes. Female. Check. Black. Check. Shot by police. Check. Suddenly the keyboard is all wet. They completely ignore the fact she was about to stab someone...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (51)
12.2%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.91%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (106)
25.36%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (38)
9.09%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (200)
47.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.59%

Watched Threads