The Student Room Group

Changing degree

I'm really not enjoying my course, currently studying civil engineering, and don't know what to change to. I don't want to drop out but want to do something that I can find myself passionate about what I'm learning but something that has good employment possibilities. I like maths and I like being creative though I feel as if it's been a while since I've done anything truly creative.

I love any suggestions on what I should do and just kind of spitball ideas at me because all I know is what I don't want to do. Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
Think about what you like and dislike about your degree. This is always a good place to start. If there are things you do like, then use that to guide you. Are there other areas of engineering that interest you? Software engineering, especially is certain areas, consists of using Maths and creative problem solving. Robotics is a fascinating areas that requires those skills and is very competitive. You could also look at electronics and programming - working with embedded systems and IoT. These are suggestions based on you experience and interests.

You could also consider an apprenticeship. ARM is currently looking for Software Engineering apprentices that will include electronics work (deadline is the 30 April). Some food for thought.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest