cat1234!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there,

I have got offers from both Durham and UCL for a psychology degree and they ask for AAA and A*AA respectively. I don't really know which one I should firm. I need some help please!

Obviously I know that London is a bit city and the fees and extortionate and after calculating the fees, I realised that as an international students, the difference between Durham and UCL is roughly about 10000 pounds annually which is a bit insane...But apparently they say that being in London, you get way more exposure to internships and opportunities to work which means that the money is worth it and you might get to earn money yourself early as well.

I have looked into both their courses, both are really strong for psychology and since it's really science based, the courses don't seem to have much difference at first glance.

I wonder if any of you have been in the same situation and what did you do in the end? Also, any of you have been/ are at Durham/ UCL, studying psychology, do you mind telling me a bit more about their courses? And, do you get more one-to-one supervision time at Durham or UCL?

Also, I am worried that I won't get to make any friends in London since it's way too big and obviously at Durham, things seem to be a bit easier due to the collegiate system. Any opinions on that?
Last edited by cat1234!; 3 weeks ago
cat1234!
Rep:
?
Would appreciate anyone's reply and insights!
cat1234!
Rep:
?
Anyone has any good advice?
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You seem to have laid out a very good financial argument for going to Durham. You’ll make friends wherever you are as long as you put in the effort to do so. And internships are available from anywhere in the country. You don’t have to stay in the one city to complete an internship and you can apply to them from wherever you are as long as you don’t mind moving temporarily. If you do a year in industry at either university then you could end up anywhere.
cat1234!
Rep:
?
(Original post by giella)
You seem to have laid out a very good financial argument for going to Durham. You’ll make friends wherever you are as long as you put in the effort to do so. And internships are available from anywhere in the country. You don’t have to stay in the one city to complete an internship and you can apply to them from wherever you are as long as you don’t mind moving temporarily. If you do a year in industry at either university then you could end up anywhere.
You've got a very good point. Do you have any thoughts for the courses at these two unis?
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Given that they’re both well rated courses, there’s not much between them. I might be tempted to look at the course catalogues at both universities and check out the various optional modules to see if one university offered more options than the other that I liked the look of but apart from that I would be making my decision based on where I most wanted to be. I love the North of England and I would much rather be based there for three years than I would London. But that’s just me. However, having studied abroad myself I can vouch that you get to know a country better outside of the capital than you ever do by living in the capital.
cat1234!
Rep:
?
(Original post by giella)
Given that they’re both well rated courses, there’s not much between them. I might be tempted to look at the course catalogues at both universities and check out the various optional modules to see if one university offered more options than the other that I liked the look of but apart from that I would be making my decision based on where I most wanted to be. I love the North of England and I would much rather be based there for three years than I would London. But that’s just me. However, having studied abroad myself I can vouch that you get to know a country better outside of the capital than you ever do by living in the capital.
I agree with you, thank you for your opinions. I have been living in the south for the past 4 years and I have to say that I really like the rural vibe. I'm gonna have a look at their options now. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads