The Student Room Group

Post OASC options- Air Ops Controller

Good morning all,

Following attending OASC recently I have been told I wasn't found competitive for my applied role of WSO, but have been found competitive for Air Ops Controller. I had only a brief knowledge of this role until now so I am looking for more information on the day to day role and any experiences people have of it.

One of my main concerns is that the role is shift-orientated. I will, if possible, join a club to continue the sport i play currently and hope to continue competing. How has this affected people's secondary duties and is it practical to hope to still compete regularly (doing a 1500-2300 shift may prevent attending training etc)?

Another question I have- I have read the salary for the civvi equivalent is more lucrative, so what are the differences (and 'positive' differences) of the role within the RAF? I've read a fair bit of negativity around this and related roles in general, but I'm sure there are more positives!

Thanks for any help offered.
Reply 1
I'm confused by this. I thought your CBAT testing determined what role you were competitive for, and that OASC purely determined if you were officer material?
Original post by Turbo321
I'm confused by this. I thought your CBAT testing determined what role you were competitive for, and that OASC purely determined if you were officer material?

CBAT will determine if you are "qualified" to go forward with the role you are applying for. OASC is for potential Officers and Senior NCO's.
Original post by EllJ2019
Good morning all,

Following attending OASC recently I have been told I wasn't found competitive for my applied role of WSO, but have been found competitive for Air Ops Controller. I had only a brief knowledge of this role until now so I am looking for more information on the day to day role and any experiences people have of it.

One of my main concerns is that the role is shift-orientated. I will, if possible, join a club to continue the sport i play currently and hope to continue competing. How has this affected people's secondary duties and is it practical to hope to still compete regularly (doing a 1500-2300 shift may prevent attending training etc)?

Another question I have- I have read the salary for the civvi equivalent is more lucrative, so what are the differences (and 'positive' differences) of the role within the RAF? I've read a fair bit of negativity around this and related roles in general, but I'm sure there are more positives!

Thanks for any help offered.

Hi mate, well done with the application so far.

I think it's best to assume that whatever role you take in the service, it's pretty hard to call it a standard 9-5, Monday to Friday job. Different roles will be affected differently, but it's always good to remain flexible. If it's a sport the RAF compete in (and they compete in plenty), then they may look to accommodate you with that.

Worth having a think about, and how keen you are on the role. Just a question, if you were unsuccessful for WSO, were you given the chance apply for WSOp? It being a non-commissioned role, but an aircrew role, it would definitely be worth considering that too.
Reply 4
Original post by BareFacedLoady
Hi mate, well done with the application so far.

I think it's best to assume that whatever role you take in the service, it's pretty hard to call it a standard 9-5, Monday to Friday job. Different roles will be affected differently, but it's always good to remain flexible. If it's a sport the RAF compete in (and they compete in plenty), then they may look to accommodate you with that.

Worth having a think about, and how keen you are on the role. Just a question, if you were unsuccessful for WSO, were you given the chance apply for WSOp? It being a non-commissioned role, but an aircrew role, it would definitely be worth considering that too.

Hi mate, thanks a lot! Yeah I guess you’re right there, WSO definitely wouldn’t be a more standard job either so it’s more getting my head round the idea as such. WSOp hasn’t been mentioned in the discussions I’ve had with people on the board since, I don’t know if anybody on here has any idea how the required scores for WSOp and Air Ops controller would compare?

I think I’d accept WSOp if it was a possibility. A great role in itself and then if the opportunity arose further down the line it’s an ideal start to then apply for a commission as a WSO. I might mention it and see, i guess it can’t hurt...

I just have an idea in my head of Air Ops Control being exactly an Air Traffic Controller sat in a tower all day every day and barely any different! Trying to sell it to myself really, as much as I can come back in a year I might never be offered another role so maybe I should take the chance.
Original post by EllJ2019
Hi mate, thanks a lot! Yeah I guess you’re right there, WSO definitely wouldn’t be a more standard job either so it’s more getting my head round the idea as such. WSOp hasn’t been mentioned in the discussions I’ve had with people on the board since, I don’t know if anybody on here has any idea how the required scores for WSOp and Air Ops controller would compare?

I think I’d accept WSOp if it was a possibility. A great role in itself and then if the opportunity arose further down the line it’s an ideal start to then apply for a commission as a WSO. I might mention it and see, i guess it can’t hurt...

I just have an idea in my head of Air Ops Control being exactly an Air Traffic Controller sat in a tower all day every day and barely any different! Trying to sell it to myself really, as much as I can come back in a year I might never be offered another role so maybe I should take the chance.

Have a good look into the role, get an idea of what those guys do. Have a look at the RAF as a whole and see if it's the right lifestyle for yourself.

There's a massive deal of variety within the WSOp (we call it ALM/Loady/Crewman), but I am a bit bias! Have a good research, chat to your recruitment office, and see if you scored high enough for WSOp and you can make a decision from there...the required scores should be on your paperwork you took away from CBAT.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest