Why can't businesses be run from uni accommodation?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What's the reason?

Is there likely to be big consequences if you're found to be running a business from your room?
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the business, if you are running one from your room but it is all online then I cannot imagine there being an issue. If the business requires people to attend your accommodation or storage then I think that may be an issue.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by one_two_three)
Depends on the business, if you are running one from your room but it is all online then I cannot imagine there being an issue. If the business requires people to attend your accommodation or storage then I think that may be an issue.
Some tenancy agreements don't mention what kind of businesses aren't allowed, though. They just say businesses cannot be run from the accommodation

I'm thinking of starting to plan an online business but I'm wondering if I'd be faced with a lot of issues by my accom if they found out
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually because the landlord or their insurance company want to avoid all the typical activities and risks associates with a business operating on the premises.

It depends on the contents of your tenancy agreement, terms of the landlord's insurance coverage and the type of business you have.
one_two_three
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're not insured to run a business from the premises - that would require separate insurance and tax implications. However, if it is an online business and you are merely accessing the business from the accommodation then I cannot see how that would be an issue, because how would they know? As opposed to it being a beauty treatment centre and people coming and going or requiring storage and thus causing implications for a fire hazard.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by one_two_three)
You're not insured to run a business from the premises - that would require separate insurance and tax implications. However, if it is an online business and you are merely accessing the business from the accommodation then I cannot see how that would be an issue, because how would they know? As opposed to it being a beauty treatment centre and people coming and going or requiring storage and thus causing implications for a fire hazard.
Yeah I just had an online business in mind
one_two_three
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, I do not see that being an issue. You will likely never meet the people who own the accommodation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
27.45%
No (74)
72.55%

Watched Threads