Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, so I’m considering dropping out of uni. I’m in first year and it’s all been online. First of all, I didn’t get into my dream uni because my A-Level grades got messed up from not actually taking exams, so I didn’t meet the entry requirements. I’m currently studying Psychology, and it has been my dream to become a Psychologist, but now I’m having second thoughts. I haven’t done any of the work for second semester and I’m really behind, yet my assignments are due in 2 weeks. There is no chance of me completing them. I have been really unmotivated and depressed and everytime I even try to do the work, I end up just staring at the screen for hours and just feel like sh*t. I just can’t tell if it’s because it’s online or if uni just isn’t for me. I do sometimes feel like I’d rather be working, or I wish I had deferred my offer.

I’m just conflicted because I don’t want to be a quitter, and I also don’t want to miss out on the uni experience, which I have been doing already anyways since I’ve only been on campus like 5 times this whole year and only made one friend. I know degrees are very valuable and I don’t want to end up in a position where I haven’t achieved anything in life, but I just feel worthless and super stressed atm just thinking about what to do. No one in my family has been to uni and I was supposed to be the first and do my family proud, as well as making myself proud, but it just hasn’t worked out that way and I really regret not having the motivation to do the work. It just feels like too much and I could really do with some advice, thanks.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Leave and take a gap year or two.
Retake A Levels if you want to find some work during your gap year. Also ask your current uni if you can defer 2nd year, their reply will help u decide what u wanna do next (retake a levels and apply again in 1-2 years time, etc)

If u drop out now, ur 1st year will be gifted from student finance and u get another 3 years of SF. but if u drop out in 2nd year then u will have to pay for a year of uni if u wanna go back, so dropping out before 2nd year is the best thing to do in terms of finance

First though, speak to student services, advice teams etc to get a rounded view - also speak to the wellbeing team/therapy services on campus to make sure you are in the right mindset and not depressed etc, and speak to an old tutor from school or someone you trusted from school or in your uni etc

hope that helps somewhat xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
17.27%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.27%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
38.18%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (26)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.82%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads