Charlenek14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all,
I am currently in the process of filling out an application form for the NHS (Scotland).
At the 'assessment' section, the first question is asking why I think I am suitable for the role and states it is looking for 500 words. I've just done a word count and realised I am around 650 words in and have still to write a few more lines to wrap it up! Does anyone know if this will cause any problems? I'd hate to think whoever was looking at my application would think I'm just waffling on!
Thanks
greg tony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
From my own experience of NHS applications, both as applicant and speaking to boss who screens them, don't go over the word count. They are designed to aid screening, as they often have 60 seconds or less to scan each one at early stages (sometimes much less depending on applicant number). So if yours is over your applicant will not get extra time, so you are in my eyes reducing chance of positive outcome. Also the word count should be enough, you will be able to reduce it, and doing so will aid how concise and how much it stands out. Less is more, and make sure it concurs with job requirements, key words are great, as HR will often control search these also.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Charlenek14
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice!
And wow, 60 seconds isn't much time at all. Keeping things short and sweet is definitely a weakness of mine. No idea how I'm going to shorten but I'm sure I'll manage!
Thanks
Tracey_W
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Charlenek14)
Hi all,
I am currently in the process of filling out an application form for the NHS (Scotland).
At the 'assessment' section, the first question is asking why I think I am suitable for the role and states it is looking for 500 words. I've just done a word count and realised I am around 650 words in and have still to write a few more lines to wrap it up! Does anyone know if this will cause any problems? I'd hate to think whoever was looking at my application would think I'm just waffling on!
Thanks
Charlenek14

Hi Charlene xx

Try to cut amount of words down to the required 500 that Is stated on application form OK, as otherwise your application may not be accepted.

What job are you applying for with NHS Scotland & where about is it !!!
If you can PM ok.

Anyway best of luck with it from a NHS Scotland midwife xx
Charlenek14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Charlenek14

Hi Charlene xx

Try to cut amount of words down to the required 500 that Is stated on application form OK, as otherwise your application may not be accepted.

What job are you applying for with NHS Scotland & where about is it !!!
If you can PM ok.

Anyway best of luck with it from a NHS Scotland midwife xx
Hi Tracey, thanks for the reply although I'm a little late of seeing it! The recruitment website wouldn't let me continue until my word count was under the limit in all sections anyways! So I managed to get just under and send it in.
I am applying for a support worker position in a renal unit but actually looking to pursue midwifery in the future! X
Tracey_W
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Charlenek14)
Hi Tracey, thanks for the reply although I'm a little late of seeing it! The recruitment website wouldn't let me continue until my word count was under the limit in all sections anyways! So I managed to get just under and send it in.
I am applying for a support worker position in a renal unit but actually looking to pursue midwifery in the future! X
Hi Charlene x
No worries as glad you managed to resolve things with your application.
Renal is a good area to work in and you'll gain vital nursing skills with it for your future application to university for midwifing as it something you can put into your application as everything will help you x

Hopefully you'll get a interview and then job offer x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (6)
9.38%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (48)
75%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (6)
9.38%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (3)
4.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.56%

Watched Threads