The Student Room Group

Braces again on nhs

I had braces before on the nhs between 12-14 and I was so insanely stupid that I didn’t wear my retainers. My teeth have shifted even worse than they used to be now and now I’m really feeling insecure. I went to my dentist and I got referred to a different orthodontist, is it possible that I can qualify and get treatment again ( I’ve heard some people have got it twice before) . I’m 16 now btw.
Unlikely they will allow you to do it again. I had a friend who had braces twice because his dentist said it wasn’t his fault and his braces were taken off too early. But because it’s your own fault they aren’t going to want to spend that money on treatment again as they will assume you will just do that same thing!
Reply 2
Original post by Wannabevet133
Unlikely they will allow you to do it again. I had a friend who had braces twice because his dentist said it wasn’t his fault and his braces were taken off too early. But because it’s your own fault they aren’t going to want to spend that money on treatment again as they will assume you will just do that same thing!

Yeah I’m such an idiot. Would the new ortho know I had it before though? My Teeth have gone pretty bad so I think I may qualify fit their grade 4 or 5 requirement thanks for reply btw
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I’m such an idiot. Would the new ortho know I had it before though? My Teeth have gone pretty bad so I think I may qualify fit their grade 4 or 5 requirement thanks for reply btw

Yeah I think they will know because it will all be on your file as part of your medical history, like how dentists check your history every appointment orthodontists will do the same. If it’s causing you functional problems like you are in physical pain etc you may have a case but if it’s just you don’t like the look of them I think it’s unlikely. Worth a shot though, you don’t lose anything by trying!
Reply 4
Original post by Wannabevet133
Yeah I think they will know because it will all be on your file as part of your medical history, like how dentists check your history every appointment orthodontists will do the same. If it’s causing you functional problems like you are in physical pain etc you may have a case but if it’s just you don’t like the look of them I think it’s unlikely. Worth a shot though, you don’t lose anything by trying!

Honestly thanks a lot for the help, I’ll give it a try and hope for the best :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I had braces before on the nhs between 12-14 and I was so insanely stupid that I didn’t wear my retainers. My teeth have shifted even worse than they used to be now and now I’m really feeling insecure. I went to my dentist and I got referred to a different orthodontist, is it possible that I can qualify and get treatment again ( I’ve heard some people have got it twice before) . I’m 16 now btw.

Yes it is possible just be honest with the orthodontist. I got it the second time as I qualified, I got mine not long ago

Quick Reply

Latest