Trying to decide EPQ topic

Watch this thread
Flotol3
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m trying to decide what I’m going to do for my EPQ and so far I’ve come up with two ideas :
- to what extent do uk prisons stop people reoffending?
- does the weather affect criminal activity?
But not sure if they are broad enough or the right style questions for an EPQ essay.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I did my EPQ on a science topic so I don't know what kind of content you would talk about to answer those questions, but from the wording of them I think the first one might be better because it allows you to assess and evaluate something and to give different view points. With the second one, it's a yes or no question so I feel like you would end up limiting yourself at some point. With the EPQ it's better to have a more open question that allows you to evaluate different factors. I hope this helps.
Flotol3
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you very helpful
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Flotol3)
Thank you very helpful
Np. Good luck on your EPQ
TinySheep
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Flotol3)
I’m trying to decide what I’m going to do for my EPQ and so far I’ve come up with two ideas :
- to what extent do uk prisons stop people reoffending?
- does the weather affect criminal activity?
But not sure if they are broad enough or the right style questions for an EPQ essay.
Hi there, aye as other people have said I'd say the first question is stronger due to the fact for an EPQ dissertation you would generally be discussing a question which can be debated, something a little controversial especially, and ideally not just be a yes or no answer. So for the first, it could be phrased as 'Is the current prison system in the UK ideal for reducing re-offending?', or something similar. This would allow you to compare various different prison systems and approaches, allow some international scope, and allow for both criticism and support of the UK prison system, as the definition of 'ideal' for a prison system is subjective.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (18)
26.47%
The paper was reasonable (30)
44.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (14)
20.59%
It was TERRIBLE (6)
8.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed