Physics GCSE Magnetism and Electromagnetism question

Watch
TacticalDebation
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The question is:

Figure 10 shows a portable power supply.

The portable power supply has an alternator connected to a transformer. The transformer can be adjusted to have different numbers of turns on the secondary coil.

Suggest why. (2 Marks)

image below:

Last edited by TacticalDebation; 1 month ago
MTChemist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Voltages which are too high or low can both cause the malfunction of electrical appliances.

The size of the output voltage depends on the number of turns on the secondary compared to the primary coil.

a step-up transformer, which steps-up voltage, has more turns in the secondary than in the primary.
a step-down transformer, which steps-down voltage, has fewer turns in the secondary than in the primary.

Changing the number of turns in the coils allows you to adjust the output voltage therefore making it suitable for a variety of different appliances which have different voltage needs.

Hope this helps
TacticalDebation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MTChemist)
Voltages which are too high or low can both cause the malfunction of electrical appliances.

The size of the output voltage depends on the number of turns on the secondary compared to the primary coil.

a step-up transformer, which steps-up voltage, has more turns in the secondary than in the primary.
a step-down transformer, which steps-down voltage, has fewer turns in the secondary than in the primary.

Changing the number of turns in the coils allows you to adjust the output voltage therefore making it suitable for a variety of different appliances which have different voltage needs.

Hope this helps
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.47%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.05%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads