HANGRY123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When the kettle was switched on, the temperature of the water did not immediately start to increase. suggest one reason why.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there a diagram?

Maybe the thermometer was some distance from the heating element and the heat transfer was by some slow process
pepperonipizza9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the molecules in the water start to vibrate
chickenbeans
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i thought it was because/// initially the thermal energy was transferred to the surroundings and to heat kettle rather than the water
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The answer is probably one of:
- It takes a little bit of time for the heating element to reach a temperature which is capable of heating up the water.
- It takes a bit of time to raise the temperature of water since it has a large heat capacity and there is a significant quantity of water.
- The thermometer has a low response time which means it does not record changes in temperature very quickly.
- The thermometer has a poor sensitivity and therefore small changes in temperature cannot be easily detected.
- It takes a bit of time for energy from the heating element to transfer via molecular diffusion processes alone to the region around the thermometer.

Unlikely but possible:
- The thermometer may be faulty.
- The kettle may be faulty.

(Original post by chickenbeans)
i thought it was because/// initially the thermal energy was transferred to the surroundings and to heat kettle rather than the water
It seems unlikely to me. The heat would mostly be absorbed by the water and only a small amount would transfer to the surroundings.
Last edited by 0le; 1 month ago
dinosaurz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its literally because the kettle had to heat up first before so it could pass on heat energy to the water
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (202)
43.72%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.21%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise