xxx0xxxo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm way over my word count but all the information is important and adds to understanding the topic in depth. I've never used appendices before.
How long/how many appendices can an essay have? Is there a %?

I have facts but also some personal observations which I consider important to note or reveal my critical thinking. But i don't want to be marked down for over-using appencies.
puddlehopper69
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There is no limit on the amount you can have. If you feel its relevant, then absolutely put it in. Your appendix and reference list doesn't count towards your word count so don't be worrying about that. But the main body of work, you can be 10% +/- and try to be very strict with yourself on word counts. A lot of people who mark them will stop reading after the allowed word count and won't mark anything after, regardless of content. Good luck.
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by puddlehopper69)
There is no limit on the amount you can have. If you feel its relevant, then absolutely put it in. Your appendix and reference list doesn't count towards your word count so don't be worrying about that. But the main body of work, you can be 10% +/- and try to be very strict with yourself on word counts. A lot of people who mark them will stop reading after the allowed word count and won't mark anything after, regardless of content. Good luck.
Thanks! Do you think it's better to put the +10% as an appendix and keep the word count perfect or in the essay? Assuming it is all within the 10% margin.
puddlehopper69
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If your word count is 2000, you're allowed 1800 or 2200. The appendix and reference lists don't count towards this at all. So don't worry about either of those. I like to have a separate word document for appendix and another for reference list, then when the paper or essay is done, add them in at the very end. It's easier for me to keep check on the word count doing this.
I'd try and make the essay or paper relevant and within the upper limits of 10%. It's so easy to get carried away. 🙈
So use all the words as your essay, as appendix and reference lists don't count towards it. Make the essay awesome. 😊 Hope that helps.. 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (55)
39.57%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
17.27%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.32%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (14)
10.07%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.79%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
9.35%

Watched Threads